Used 2002 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Unfortunate purchase
By rostropovich

2002 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for almost 2 years, and have had problem after problem, regret upon regret. I have treated it like my firstborn, always hoping that after /this/ repair it will run well for a good long time, but no, not a chance. Got it for $2800 at 81000 miles, but put $4000 in repairs in the first year, including rotors, e-brake, sway bar links and bushings, control arm bushings, muffler, transmission mount, shifter cables, steering tie rod and lights. It never quite felt like it was driving nicely even after repairs. The story ends with the transmission failing. UNCLE!

It looks decent and the interior is okay.

Piece of Junk
By thatguythere13

2002 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as my first car when I was 16 years old. Believing it was a great car, good size, good MPG, and being that I paid under $6000 with it having less than 30,000 miles I figured it would last me long enough to turn around and sell it for a decent chunk of change. Here it is, 6 years later, I've vested well over a grand into it in monotonous repairs to a car with under 80,000 (as of today 12/6) should not be having. I think it may finally be back in working shape, but at this point I am sick of it. The amount of money I've put in repetative repairs is enough to make me want to torch it. Neon's have a history of being terribly built. Abide by that fact.

Nothing. When the doors actually unlock with the key fob is nice. But also a rare occasion.

Should have never been built. Never bring it back, Chrysler reimburse all owners?

02 Dodge Neon (Automatic)
By andrew30947

2002 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As I said it is an automatic and Dodge made a programming error in the Neon's automatic transmission so that's about the only problem. I bought MJ this year with 83K miles (now 90k) when I bought the car I had no experience in the mechanics and if I had I wouldn't have bought THAT Neon BUT I am glad I did. If you like paying people to fix your car, do not buy a Neon. If you can fix things on your own get it. MJ has been through a LOT (off road, 3 or 4 wrecks, and a half country trip) but she keeps going, I did pay quite a bit to fix her up but a lot was the previous owner (the wrecks were limited to suspension damage and a cracked rim) since the complete fix I haven't spent a dime.

I didn't get to put this in the small review part, these cars ARE sturdy, my Neon has saved my life multiple times due to me being immature and tearing it around town, not to mention the times I've had to swerve to avoid things (handling). The saftey rating may be low but its been hit by one car and held up amazingly, scuffed paint, while her metal bumper was dented and she stalled. I have put performance parts into her since so gas mileage isn't really a factor to me, she now gets about 20 mpg. If you have one get a transmission rebuild from stronger parts, not stock. I haven't yet but will have to soon because Dodge made a programming error in the Neons.

*= GET PERFORMANCE QUALITY, *transmission, *engine mounts (all three located on passenger side, upper, middle, and lower) *transmission mounts (two under battery) Since Dodge no longer makes these I wrote this for people who own or plan on owning, fix these parts and get performance engine mount inserts, the rubber on the engine mounts goes quickly and CAUSES most transmission problems these people complain about. These cars are sensitive and the engine must placed EXACTLY how it was designed, I only wish someone had told me these things, do this and I am almost 100% it will last for years (unless you race or drive erratically)

dodge neon 02
By nicole30

2002 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was great at first(80,000), but after a year with 111,000 miles on it, had to surrender to pick n pull....This car will need extra special help if you want it to last. Cheap, but not a good choice if you want a soid car.

none

extra specia transimssion care

Since 2002
By menifee3

2002 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car since 2002. It runs incredibly fantastic. No problems since ownership. I have nearly 90K miles on it and take it into L.A. every day. Runs smooth, 35 mpg Hwy (Higher than officially rated), and an unbelievable air conditioner which I can only run on low, even on hot days, because it get's so cold in the car. The AC is better than the one in my Mercedes! While far from being a chick magnet, this car is the most reliable car I've ever owned. And I'm keeping it!

Air conditioner, reliability, gas mileage.

None. Don't mess with perfection.