Used 2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan

SE 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (53 reviews )

Not Bad for $500.00
By Anyon

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This little car has 133,000 miles on it and it still starts and drives very well. Very reliable, couple of gremlins, but nothing major. Lots of aftermarket parts available. Fun little project for the four banger enthusiast. Shaky idle (probably could benefit from a tune up).

Favorite Features

Cost, comfort, nimble suspension.

Suggested Improvements

132hp, very timid, but not too slow once out of the 2000 rpm range.

Original owner & still driving it
By oceangal313

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great and fun car. I have replaced 2 front tie rods and the radio. I also replaced the radiator even though the dealer said I needed a tranny too, they lied. I bought some nice Elbrus wheels for it and Komho tires, added a spoiler and a faux hood scoop. My husband added a nice stripe to it and some V8 Hemi decals from an old Dodge truck. The car is awesome! With the Cars for Clunkers program I am thinking of trading in an old pickup and getting something new. If I do I am going to miss this car. It got me through my 40's :-)

Favorite Features

Style, comfort of seats, peppy little engine (esp if you manually shift), reliable

Suggested Improvements

well since they don't make the neon anymore I guess improvements are pointless. They could bring it back though! Its a little slow when the AC is on, other than that I love this car!

GM Dependable. Who would have thought?
By bdiddy1

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as a used car with 40K on it in 2003. It now has only 68K in the last 5 years. Except for one splurge for new car parts which has extended its life, I have to say I'm really pleased with this car. It's not great in the snow but it can handle most things. I really like the moon roof although there are some issues with the switch. If you don't have to drive a lot and just want a reliable car with some sporty features, then this is a solid, good car. It's not a clunker because of its gas mileage and that's another good feature. With some eco driving, it's a fairly clean car.

Favorite Features

Moonroof is my favorite feature. I don't use it much but on a Spring, cool day it's COOL!

Suggested Improvements

It has a tendency to not start sometimes especially in real cold weather. No reason for that. Oh, and the tires are like the top of the line tires in the sense that they are going to cost you. Within the first few months of owning it I had to replace them. Yep!

The Little Car That Could
By Hyper

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used in 2002 after it had been a rental. During the next seven years and 70,000 miles, I replaced oil, a battery, and the relay for the radiator fan. I had a trailer hitch on this car and pulled a U-Haul trailer back and forth across the country several times. In the end, the car was rear-ended by a large GMC pickup that was too high up to hit the bumper, but even then the trunk crumpled like it was supposed to, saving me from injury. My Neon was totaled in this accident just last week, but this was and will probably remain my favorite of the dozen cars I've owned in my 42 years.

Favorite Features

Despite being so small, it was sporty even in its base version. The interior was amazingly ergonomic for me. An extremely reliable car despite its price that could take some abuse. The fuel efficiency was phenomenal, and I weathered the gas price increase easily.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the pointless Calibre and start making Neons again, Chrysler.

2001 Neon ACR
By HazMatt24

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Loud, rude, and crude. Just the way I like it. I have used this car for a daily driver and autocross/time trial car. The handling is great for a front driver and acceleration is great for only 150 HP. Adjustible struts realy make a difference when driving at the limits. No mechanical problems to speak of yet. Fun little car to play with.

Favorite Features

Suspension system is the best on a car anywhere close to this price. A lot of room for aftermarket parts. Pocket racer right off the showroom.

Suggested Improvements

I'll always take more power. More aggression in the springs from the factory would be nice. If someone orders an ACR they don't expect comfort.