2001 Dodge Neon SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

2001 Neon Consumer Reviews

SE 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (53 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Brilliant for a first or second car.
By dodgeneon1

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just came upon a free 2001 Plymouth Neon. The only problem I had from it, was because the original owners let it sit, because it had a mold issue. from sitting the battery went bad, and the right rear brake seized. Other than that it is a great car. It starts right up, and stands up to performance standards, and is very good on gas. Its a very reliable car, besides its bad reputation. It has 120,000 miles, and it runs strong. Very good car, and would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

In the 2001 Plymouth Neon, I love the circular headlights, think it is not a gender specific car, coming from a guys point of view. ha a great stereo system. Has good performance. Very comfortable ride. suspension is tight. steering is tight and responsive, and so is the throttle. The car is fun to drive, even with the automatic transmission. interior is a very nice place to be. it makes you feel right at home. it makes you want to drive. like when you unlock the door, it invites you in by illuminating the dome light. Very fun, cheap, inexpensive car for anyone on a limited budget, want to have fun, go places, and not give up the "FUN" in cars

Suggested Improvements

If any improvements in the Plymouth Neon were to be made, there are a few points of interest. It is difficult to see through the rear window when reversing, but at night, it gives you a very nice view of the stars. It is difficult to adjust the clock, when you first get the car. and the headlights oxidize easily. other than that, its a vibrant fun car to drive.

Should have blown up by now
By ibear

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Being that I am required to say this, I work for a company that makes bolts for Honda, Nissan, Ford, Toyota and a few other small companys. But that has nothing to do with this. I bought an automatic 2001 neon es with 117K on it almost two years ago. It now has about 135 on it. It was dew for and oil change at 118 and I'm an idiot and never got around to it. I still haven't done it. This car is still runng strong. I dont know how, but it is. It kinda has rust issues and the ac just went out. Bought winter yokahoma tires for it and its great in winter. Most reliable car you can buy for the money. Ive been tough on this car for almost 20k with no oil changes and its still going.

Great car!
By Kandie

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in 2002 with 36,000 miles, it now has 128,000 I just put on new ties, new battery, timing belt & water pump, because of the high miles (The old one looked perfect when they replaced them) I'm giving the car to my parents. They could of done a better job with the paint. Either way, a great running car! I wished they still made them!

Decent overall, horrible in snow
By Cargirl

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Neon was great for me for the first couple of years. It had decent power for a 4 cylinder car and excellent gas mileage. However, it is horrible in snow and would get stuck on hills I never even noticed without snow. Other small cars would pass me by as I was stuck. As soon as I paid it off, I started having problems with the exhaust manifold, passenger power window, water leaking from the rear lights into the trunk and passenger seat, as well as some minor issues. The exterior was built well, though! It survived having a tree fall on it in the middle of an nice storm with only minor body damage. Visibility was great in front, but poor to the rear. Seats uncomfortable on longer rides.

Favorite Features

4-disc DC changer, stereo, remote entry

Suggested Improvements

Discontinued model, so not much use to stating improvements!

Still ticking
By Happy2010

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my neon brand new back in 2001 and it is still getting me where I need to go. Other than replacing the tires, battery and a few belts, I have not had any major issues with this car. It has over 150,000 miles on it. My only drawback is the paint job. Other than that, this is a great car! I wish they still made them.

Favorite Features

Very roomy interior

Suggested Improvements

Paintjob

Not Bad for $500.00
By Anyon

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This little car has 133,000 miles on it and it still starts and drives very well. Very reliable, couple of gremlins, but nothing major. Lots of aftermarket parts available. Fun little project for the four banger enthusiast. Shaky idle (probably could benefit from a tune up).

Favorite Features

Cost, comfort, nimble suspension.

Suggested Improvements

132hp, very timid, but not too slow once out of the 2000 rpm range.

Original owner & still driving it
By oceangal313

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great and fun car. I have replaced 2 front tie rods and the radio. I also replaced the radiator even though the dealer said I needed a tranny too, they lied. I bought some nice Elbrus wheels for it and Komho tires, added a spoiler and a faux hood scoop. My husband added a nice stripe to it and some V8 Hemi decals from an old Dodge truck. The car is awesome! With the Cars for Clunkers program I am thinking of trading in an old pickup and getting something new. If I do I am going to miss this car. It got me through my 40's :-)

Favorite Features

Style, comfort of seats, peppy little engine (esp if you manually shift), reliable

Suggested Improvements

well since they don't make the neon anymore I guess improvements are pointless. They could bring it back though! Its a little slow when the AC is on, other than that I love this car!

GM Dependable. Who would have thought?
By bdiddy1

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as a used car with 40K on it in 2003. It now has only 68K in the last 5 years. Except for one splurge for new car parts which has extended its life, I have to say I'm really pleased with this car. It's not great in the snow but it can handle most things. I really like the moon roof although there are some issues with the switch. If you don't have to drive a lot and just want a reliable car with some sporty features, then this is a solid, good car. It's not a clunker because of its gas mileage and that's another good feature. With some eco driving, it's a fairly clean car.

Favorite Features

Moonroof is my favorite feature. I don't use it much but on a Spring, cool day it's COOL!

Suggested Improvements

It has a tendency to not start sometimes especially in real cold weather. No reason for that. Oh, and the tires are like the top of the line tires in the sense that they are going to cost you. Within the first few months of owning it I had to replace them. Yep!

The Little Car That Could
By Hyper

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used in 2002 after it had been a rental. During the next seven years and 70,000 miles, I replaced oil, a battery, and the relay for the radiator fan. I had a trailer hitch on this car and pulled a U-Haul trailer back and forth across the country several times. In the end, the car was rear-ended by a large GMC pickup that was too high up to hit the bumper, but even then the trunk crumpled like it was supposed to, saving me from injury. My Neon was totaled in this accident just last week, but this was and will probably remain my favorite of the dozen cars I've owned in my 42 years.

Favorite Features

Despite being so small, it was sporty even in its base version. The interior was amazingly ergonomic for me. An extremely reliable car despite its price that could take some abuse. The fuel efficiency was phenomenal, and I weathered the gas price increase easily.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the pointless Calibre and start making Neons again, Chrysler.

2001 Neon ACR
By HazMatt24

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Loud, rude, and crude. Just the way I like it. I have used this car for a daily driver and autocross/time trial car. The handling is great for a front driver and acceleration is great for only 150 HP. Adjustible struts realy make a difference when driving at the limits. No mechanical problems to speak of yet. Fun little car to play with.

Favorite Features

Suspension system is the best on a car anywhere close to this price. A lot of room for aftermarket parts. Pocket racer right off the showroom.

Suggested Improvements

I'll always take more power. More aggression in the springs from the factory would be nice. If someone orders an ACR they don't expect comfort.