Used 2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan

SE 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (53 reviews )

Brilliant for a first or second car.
By dodgeneon1

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just came upon a free 2001 Plymouth Neon. The only problem I had from it, was because the original owners let it sit, because it had a mold issue. from sitting the battery went bad, and the right rear brake seized. Other than that it is a great car. It starts right up, and stands up to performance standards, and is very good on gas. Its a very reliable car, besides its bad reputation. It has 120,000 miles, and it runs strong. Very good car, and would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

In the 2001 Plymouth Neon, I love the circular headlights, think it is not a gender specific car, coming from a guys point of view. ha a great stereo system. Has good performance. Very comfortable ride. suspension is tight. steering is tight and responsive, and so is the throttle. The car is fun to drive, even with the automatic transmission. interior is a very nice place to be. it makes you feel right at home. it makes you want to drive. like when you unlock the door, it invites you in by illuminating the dome light. Very fun, cheap, inexpensive car for anyone on a limited budget, want to have fun, go places, and not give up the "FUN" in cars

Suggested Improvements

If any improvements in the Plymouth Neon were to be made, there are a few points of interest. It is difficult to see through the rear window when reversing, but at night, it gives you a very nice view of the stars. It is difficult to adjust the clock, when you first get the car. and the headlights oxidize easily. other than that, its a vibrant fun car to drive.

Should have blown up by now
By ibear

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Being that I am required to say this, I work for a company that makes bolts for Honda, Nissan, Ford, Toyota and a few other small companys. But that has nothing to do with this. I bought an automatic 2001 neon es with 117K on it almost two years ago. It now has about 135 on it. It was dew for and oil change at 118 and I'm an idiot and never got around to it. I still haven't done it. This car is still runng strong. I dont know how, but it is. It kinda has rust issues and the ac just went out. Bought winter yokahoma tires for it and its great in winter. Most reliable car you can buy for the money. Ive been tough on this car for almost 20k with no oil changes and its still going.

Great car!
By Kandie

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in 2002 with 36,000 miles, it now has 128,000 I just put on new ties, new battery, timing belt & water pump, because of the high miles (The old one looked perfect when they replaced them) I'm giving the car to my parents. They could of done a better job with the paint. Either way, a great running car! I wished they still made them!

Decent overall, horrible in snow
By Cargirl

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Neon was great for me for the first couple of years. It had decent power for a 4 cylinder car and excellent gas mileage. However, it is horrible in snow and would get stuck on hills I never even noticed without snow. Other small cars would pass me by as I was stuck. As soon as I paid it off, I started having problems with the exhaust manifold, passenger power window, water leaking from the rear lights into the trunk and passenger seat, as well as some minor issues. The exterior was built well, though! It survived having a tree fall on it in the middle of an nice storm with only minor body damage. Visibility was great in front, but poor to the rear. Seats uncomfortable on longer rides.

Favorite Features

4-disc DC changer, stereo, remote entry

Suggested Improvements

Discontinued model, so not much use to stating improvements!

Still ticking
By Happy2010

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my neon brand new back in 2001 and it is still getting me where I need to go. Other than replacing the tires, battery and a few belts, I have not had any major issues with this car. It has over 150,000 miles on it. My only drawback is the paint job. Other than that, this is a great car! I wish they still made them.

Favorite Features

Very roomy interior

Suggested Improvements

Paintjob