2001 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

SE 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (53 reviews )
Brilliant for a first or second car.
By dodgeneon1 on 03/09/13 19:24 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just came upon a free 2001 Plymouth Neon. The only problem I had from it, was because the original owners let it sit, because it had a mold issue. from sitting the battery went bad, and the right rear brake seized. Other than that it is a great car. It starts right up, and stands up to performance standards, and is very good on gas. Its a very reliable car, besides its bad reputation. It has 120,000 miles, and it runs strong. Very good car, and would recommend it to anyone.

Should have blown up by now
By ibear on 07/26/12 22:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Being that I am required to say this, I work for a company that makes bolts for Honda, Nissan, Ford, Toyota and a few other small companys. But that has nothing to do with this. I bought an automatic 2001 neon es with 117K on it almost two years ago. It now has about 135 on it. It was dew for and oil change at 118 and I'm an idiot and never got around to it. I still haven't done it. This car is still runng strong. I dont know how, but it is. It kinda has rust issues and the ac just went out. Bought winter yokahoma tires for it and its great in winter. Most reliable car you can buy for the money. Ive been tough on this car for almost 20k with no oil changes and its still going.

Great car!
By Kandie on 07/30/10 14:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in 2002 with 36,000 miles, it now has 128,000 I just put on new ties, new battery, timing belt & water pump, because of the high miles (The old one looked perfect when they replaced them) I'm giving the car to my parents. They could of done a better job with the paint. Either way, a great running car! I wished they still made them!

Decent overall, horrible in snow
By Cargirl on 04/24/10 15:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Neon was great for me for the first couple of years. It had decent power for a 4 cylinder car and excellent gas mileage. However, it is horrible in snow and would get stuck on hills I never even noticed without snow. Other small cars would pass me by as I was stuck. As soon as I paid it off, I started having problems with the exhaust manifold, passenger power window, water leaking from the rear lights into the trunk and passenger seat, as well as some minor issues. The exterior was built well, though! It survived having a tree fall on it in the middle of an nice storm with only minor body damage. Visibility was great in front, but poor to the rear. Seats uncomfortable on longer rides.

Still ticking
By Happy2010 on 02/26/10 09:45 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my neon brand new back in 2001 and it is still getting me where I need to go. Other than replacing the tires, battery and a few belts, I have not had any major issues with this car. It has over 150,000 miles on it. My only drawback is the paint job. Other than that, this is a great car! I wish they still made them.

Not Bad for $500.00
By Anyon on 09/12/09 13:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This little car has 133,000 miles on it and it still starts and drives very well. Very reliable, couple of gremlins, but nothing major. Lots of aftermarket parts available. Fun little project for the four banger enthusiast. Shaky idle (probably could benefit from a tune up).

Original owner & still driving it
By oceangal313 on 08/21/09 09:18 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great and fun car. I have replaced 2 front tie rods and the radio. I also replaced the radiator even though the dealer said I needed a tranny too, they lied. I bought some nice Elbrus wheels for it and Komho tires, added a spoiler and a faux hood scoop. My husband added a nice stripe to it and some V8 Hemi decals from an old Dodge truck. The car is awesome! With the Cars for Clunkers program I am thinking of trading in an old pickup and getting something new. If I do I am going to miss this car. It got me through my 40's :-)

GM Dependable. Who would have thought?
By bdiddy1 on 08/01/09 06:18 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as a used car with 40K on it in 2003. It now has only 68K in the last 5 years. Except for one splurge for new car parts which has extended its life, I have to say I'm really pleased with this car. It's not great in the snow but it can handle most things. I really like the moon roof although there are some issues with the switch. If you don't have to drive a lot and just want a reliable car with some sporty features, then this is a solid, good car. It's not a clunker because of its gas mileage and that's another good feature. With some eco driving, it's a fairly clean car.

The Little Car That Could
By Hyper on 06/11/09 10:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used in 2002 after it had been a rental. During the next seven years and 70,000 miles, I replaced oil, a battery, and the relay for the radiator fan. I had a trailer hitch on this car and pulled a U-Haul trailer back and forth across the country several times. In the end, the car was rear-ended by a large GMC pickup that was too high up to hit the bumper, but even then the trunk crumpled like it was supposed to, saving me from injury. My Neon was totaled in this accident just last week, but this was and will probably remain my favorite of the dozen cars I've owned in my 42 years.

2001 Neon ACR
By HazMatt24 on 11/13/08 07:53 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Loud, rude, and crude. Just the way I like it. I have used this car for a daily driver and autocross/time trial car. The handling is great for a front driver and acceleration is great for only 150 HP. Adjustible struts realy make a difference when driving at the limits. No mechanical problems to speak of yet. Fun little car to play with.