Used 1999 Dodge Neon R/T Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Love my R/T
By scotr

1999 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

I'm more than happy with my '99 Neon R/T. It handles very nicely and with regular maintenance has been extremely reliable. I avg around 25 mpg in town and 37 mpg highway (all of which is at an elevation of 3500 ft or higher)on 87 octane reg gas. Head gasket blew at the 3 yr mark but dealer covered it. Headlights dull badly with age but aftermarket polishing helps. Seems to burn out an O-2 sensor every few years and the moonroof tracks have both broken once despite minimal use. Biggest problem (chronic to Neons) is the intermittent failure of the instrument cluster (due, I'm told, to poor solder connections). All in all this car has been incredibly reliable, fun to drive and economical.

Favorite Features

Reliable, fun to drive, economical and has a sporty look.

Suggested Improvements

Instrument cluster should have benefited from a factory recall years ago. Moonroof track system has a very short lifespan. 5-spd shifter is inconveniently close to the dash..a loose coat sleeve can pull the car out of gear while messing with the stereo.

Had to have a Neon R/T
By Larry Hofmeister

1999 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

Loved the look of these R/Ts when they came out and had been very pleased with my 4 door Neons purchased in 1995 and 1998. It's sharp, comfortable and responsive. Good road manners even on a long drive. 5 speed is a joy to shift. My only disappointment; I don't think this car is as quick as it should be, although I'm not one to pound on equipment either.

Favorite Features

Exterior appearance, seating, 5 speed transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Could use improvement in "low end" engine performance. A bit peaky and not as quick overall as it should be.

Mini Viper Strikes without warning
By Steven D.

1999 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

Compact, fast, tight handling, awsome gearbox, unlimited possiblities. pulling up to a stop light next to a camaron iroc-z, and beating the crap out of it, makes you feel that much better because your getting 20 mph more than they ever will.

Favorite Features

2.0 high output DOHC, 5-speed gearbox, 4-wheel disc, sunroof, that nowhere on the body does it say "neon"

Suggested Improvements

TURBO!

99 Dodge R/T
By Kevin K

Great car so far.

Neon R/T
By micknick

1999 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

5 years of reliable, problem free driving. I have personally performed all service on this vehicle and found it to be easy to work on. I have not experienced the leaky head gasket that had plagued earlier models.

Favorite Features

Handling

Suggested Improvements

Better floormats