1999 Dodge Neon Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
GREAT LITTLE CAR
By PAT on 12/09/09 10:55 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

My husband and I inherited this car in 2002 with about 10,000 mi. Now it is a little over 39,000 and has had very little problems. Is just starting to. Have a major oil leak & had new cam shank sensor put in. Getting 2 belts & new valve gasket. Is very good on gas. I've driven highways long & short drives & it never failed me. If it only had a CD player and faster start-up it would be perfect! I chose to keep this car over 95 Nissan Maxima fully loaded to sell for husband's funeral, and am glad I chose to keep the Neon. Is a nice ride.

Love my R/T
By scotr on 11/19/09 17:58 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

I'm more than happy with my '99 Neon R/T. It handles very nicely and with regular maintenance has been extremely reliable. I avg around 25 mpg in town and 37 mpg highway (all of which is at an elevation of 3500 ft or higher)on 87 octane reg gas. Head gasket blew at the 3 yr mark but dealer covered it. Headlights dull badly with age but aftermarket polishing helps. Seems to burn out an O-2 sensor every few years and the moonroof tracks have both broken once despite minimal use. Biggest problem (chronic to Neons) is the intermittent failure of the instrument cluster (due, I'm told, to poor solder connections). All in all this car has been incredibly reliable, fun to drive and economical.

Coupe competition
By Troopx3 on 10/15/06 21:32 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Neon Coupe Competition 2dr Coupe

The Neon is fast, but my fuel economy is bad. Other than that, the car is excellent. For a small car, it is roomy and comfortable.

1999 Dodge Neon Coupe
By kbuhl on 11/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

Good car until about 60,000 miles, lots of rattles. Everything starts wearing out. $2000 in repairs in the last year. I would not buy another used one, or a new one if it's only gonna last 60,000 miles.

Had to have a Neon R/T
By Larry Hofmeister on 06/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

Loved the look of these R/Ts when they came out and had been very pleased with my 4 door Neons purchased in 1995 and 1998. It's sharp, comfortable and responsive. Good road manners even on a long drive. 5 speed is a joy to shift. My only disappointment; I don't think this car is as quick as it should be, although I'm not one to pound on equipment either.

The neon Car For America
By donald duck luver on 04/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Neon Coupe Competition 2dr Coupe

Dear www.edmund.com, This car is basically the best car. Its fast,comfortable, and a really cool car. Its sensible and safe for any teenager. Like me, anyway about the car its easy to drive (and doesent have a stupid stick shifts.) Well thats all why the neon is a good car so long!

Mini Viper Strikes without warning
By Steven D. on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

Compact, fast, tight handling, awsome gearbox, unlimited possiblities. pulling up to a stop light next to a camaron iroc-z, and beating the crap out of it, makes you feel that much better because your getting 20 mph more than they ever will.

99 Dodge R/T
By Kevin K on 11/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Great car so far.

Neon R/T
By micknick on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

5 years of reliable, problem free driving. I have personally performed all service on this vehicle and found it to be easy to work on. I have not experienced the leaky head gasket that had plagued earlier models.

Fun to drive and reliable too!
By gr00vych1k on 05/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

This is a very fun car to drive - it is very reliable, gets decent gas mileage, and takes corners like it's on rails! I purchased this car after owning a ford escort, which gave me nothing but problems. I have had the Neon for two years and have had minimal problems. The car has been completely reliable despite the commute I have put it through.