Used 1999 Dodge Neon Highline Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

1999 Dodge Neon highline AUTOMATIC
By samanthawade

1999 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I just want to start off by saying, this car has been very great since I've had it. I have had it for almost 2 years. It is a 1999 and it only has 65,000 miles as of right now. The only problem that has happened since, is a leak in the break line, which was a very cheap fix. The car has great MPG and trunk space. I would recommend to an elderly woman or new driver! The only thing I cannot stand about this car is the size. IT'S SO SMALL. I am not an extremely large person, but I am not tiny. It is very uncomfortable to drive. I am in the market for a new car because I can't handle how small this car is. I do not recommend this car to anyone who is a little overweight.

Favorite Features

Trunk space is big, easy to drive, gets up to speed fast, gas mileage is great.

Suggested Improvements

Well it's a little too late now, considering this is a 1999 and I don't know how the newer models are. But they could have made it a little more bigger. I understand it's an affordable car and is supposed to be very simple. But if you're over 5'4'' and weigh more than 150lbs, you'll struggle to get in and out.

so so car overall since i bought mine, trying to make her better
By missyg24

1999 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

i got a 99 dodge neon off craigslist,for $700.120k miles, so far its a bad deal,needs alot of work inside (radio) n out/under least i got aftermarket tail lights.still have the old ones just incase i get a newer model neon.my coworker has a 95 neon,her steering wheel thing tilt when mine dont,wtf! someone on the other shift then me owns a plymouth neon looks to be same yr look,theres is in better condition then mine.also i am useto driving a trailblazer my mom owned (2diff yrs she owned) they have cruise control, n power windows). for a neon its popular,i've seen many neons both ply's/ddg's.im a chevy gurl driving a dodge lol. ill repost in coming wks/months my review once i get her fixed u

Favorite Features

says on here mine a manual,but mines actually a automatic with 5 speeds. size inside, love the roomy feel inside, i am the driver but just sitting in the back seat it feels comfy. access to the truck is good with flap down back seat supports i guess you call them.

Suggested Improvements

about 3wks after i bought it, has bald tires, needs shocks/struts, new hood, turn signal (holder for it too), headlight, fender, wheel cylinder, brake line, fix rear window defroster, electrical issues (scares me) i cant play a cd/radio without the radio resetting itself. this car will be newer in few months. its my first car so i know it wont be the best car ever. needed an extra position closer to the steering wheel, n maybe ha more cushion to sit on on front seats im lil short from my shoulder to mywaist, mainly legs (track). also hate that i cant put large magnets on the truck, since the trunk is kinda curved....

neon=lemon
By foreveryoung14

1999 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

Since summer 2010 I have put $2000+ dollars on that stupid car. First a bunch of gaskets blew, then it was the alternator, then it was the radiator, then the brakes, then finally the water pump...which doesn't seem like a big deal for any other car, but on a neon you have to take out the whole engine just to replace it. A $20 part turned into a $500 job. I used to love driving my car, but now when I drive it I am constantly listening for weird sounds and wondering about when it will break down next. The day the transmission goes will be the day that I scrap the car for parts. I wouldn't wish this car on my worst enemy.

piece of junk Neon
By jimf

1999 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

This car has got to be a low point in US auto build quality. It is a piece of junk. DO NOT BUY ONE ! Ever !!... At 20K the head gasket blew which Chrysler refused to cover. The head lights frosted over within 3 years. The moon roof broke before the car was 2 years old. The center tail light seal failed thus filling the trunk with rain water. The power windows misaligned after 3 years making the doors very difficult to open. The power door locks stopped functioning on the rear doors. Now, with only 47000 very gentle miles on it, the rear main seal blew out putting a quart of oil on the road every 60 miles. Oh yes, the tranny will not go into 3rd gear when cold. Has done this for years.

Favorite Features

None, this is the biggest piece of junk since the Vega.

Suggested Improvements

Burn all reamaining copies of 1999 Neons

A pretty fair car
By Miramichier

1999 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Neon with the idea of saving money on gas and maintance,which I must say I was right in that respect, for gas mileage and easy maintance this (so far) had been a great little car, but(and there always is a but) on a drive over 25 miles the seats are really uncomfortable. They feel like you are sitting on two pieces of plywood. My car has a/c and that really doesn`t have the capacity to really cool the interior of the car on a really hot day (and yes I did have the service ppl at my local a/c shop look at it and they say it`s as good as it can be.)

Favorite Features

This car is very peppy, goes like stink. Gives great gas mileage and stops well. Starts great in the Canadian winter even without using the block heater.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the A/C unit and put in a better seat and there`s the perfect little car.