Perfect first time, long time car!
By ch_burne2 on
1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan
Ive had this car since about 07, when I acquired it from my mom who was the 2nd owner (originally bought from a dealership). Ive been driving it since I was 16 so its been through a lot. Aside from regular maintenance this car has been very low maintenance. Ive had the oil changed about every 5k miles and a few tune-ups but this car has not asked for much more. In terms of repairs this is what Ive had to have done: -brakes a couple times in 7 years -fuel pump twice (wear in the fuel line which was unnoticed) -various parts of the cooling system Still has the original clutch after 13 years! This car lasts forever if you care enough.
Favorite Features
200k miles plus! The interior is phenomenal (besides the headliner which I think the dealership replaced incorrectly and is loose now) and still looks brand new even 13 years old. The clutch is stiff and so is the gas which makes driving the car feel like driving a real stick and not one of those new crap manuals that are impossible to stall out. Only parts of the grill and spoiler have shown wear in the paint and the rest shines like new when waxed. Downshifting is a BLESSING in this car in the ice and snow. The car itself is too light to use the brakes and I don't think it has ABS so downshifting is key! Also, EXCELLENT gas mileage! Even in its old age this car gets 28-33mpg average.
Suggested Improvements
Overheats occasionally in heat and humidity even since I had most of my cooling system rebuilt. Not sure what's going on but selling the car soon so haven't taken it to a legitimate mechanic to find out. The display went from bad a couple years ago to worse and now the speedo and odometer work half the time. Also manual locks and windows are standard with this car which drives me crazy. Oh and the CD changer is located in the trunk which is impossibly inconvenient to change with a memory like mine so you always end up listening to the radio (equally as bad as repetitive CDs). Keep in mind technical issues occurred after 100k.. Like I said, work horse if you don't treat the car like garbage.