Its had its problems...
By neon1998c on
1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan
My 1998 Dodge Neon has had belt issues where the water pump locked up and the timing belt jumped. Then a month later the serpentine belt shredded completely and had to be replaced as well. The car rattles a lot when I drive it, and shakes bad when it idles. My Neon doesn't have much power to it either. Its got bad acceleration, (it doesn't pick up speed quickly). Also my dome light and my shifter light don't work, (I changed the dome light and yes have checked the fuses and light switch, I don't know how to change the shifter light.) Over all, I wish I had a different car, or a better Neon :(
Favorite Features
Great on gas!
By joseywales1
on 09/07/12 12:21 PM (PDT)

Here what most people dont know accept us old schoolers..Timming belts should be changed at 50.000-60.000 miles! Not no over 100.000.. When changing the belt you also replace the water pump and timming belt tentioner pully...The same with automatic transmitions fluid and filter should be changed at 54.000 miles...Tune up's spark plugs and wires cap and rottor replace every 2 years or 24.000miles.. all belts should be replaced if you see any cracks in them...people wonder why cars dont last long do to improper maintances....As for your car ideling bad do to timming belt broke and caused your pistion to hit the valves=bent them=car will idle ruff.. and will have lose of power and gas mileage goes down too.I should know. Wife did that to her 98 plymoth breeze. didnt listen to me on getting the timming belt replaced and the samething happened to her car. You can drive it car runs smooth but at idle its ruff..Just wish people would listen..