Used 1998 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Neon R/T, What a Great Car!!!
By NeonRacer

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 2dr Coupe

The Dodge Neon R/T is one great car. Since the first time I got in the car till the present I have enjoyed this car. As long as you do proper maintainance on time, this car will last you for a long time and fill your life with excitment.

Favorite Features

It would have to be the performance of the car. 150 horses create excitment and joy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage has to improve as well as the interior which is mainly plastic

Dodge Neon
By Robert McLacklin

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

I have had much fun driving this vehicle the last month. I purchased it from Regency Dodge and am very pleased with it thus far. I plan to purchase my next car or truck with them in the future.

It Keeps Going
By Jimmy W

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I bought this 1998 Neon from a friends son to have as a highway vehicle. I bought it in non-running conditon with under 100000 miles on it and it was in POOR shape. I towed it home, replaced the head with one I found on eBay (for about 250.00) and some other parts (total cost was under 350.00 + my time). After shampooing the interior several times, new floor mats and a clay bar + wax job the car has ran 20,000+ miles without ANY PROBLEMS!! I don't even bother to change the oil, i just make sure it is topped off and that the car idles fine. It isn't the prettiest thing on the road but I can't believe how this car never dies. A Great buy for anyone...

Favorite Features

The Stereo, Heater, Big trunk and rear seat for its compact size, reliable with little service work.

Suggested Improvements

Small review mirror THATS IT! (wow, what a compaint.. Other car companys would love to have a complaint like that instead of what they have)

Not so hot Neon
By carrie

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 2dr Coupe

Head gasket problems seem to be 'normal' for this car; ours had to be replaced around 35,000 miles (and the head remilled to boot). No recall for this problem, but Chrysler did kick some cash back to the dealership for repairs after a considerable amount of complaining. Also, trunk has always leaked -- friends of mine had the same problems with their Neons. After five years of misc. mechanical problems, I'm happy to be getting rid of it!

Favorite Features

Handles well. Comfortable to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Head gaskets, trunk gaskets, and oddly enough, the car doesn't seem to defrost well -- like the air blows in the wrong spot to be effective. Wipers ice up in winter, I get sick of beating on them!

Perfection; Thy Name is Neon!
By BC Reed

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

This car is fantastic! I have an Iceman cold air intake on it and it gets 30/40 mpg easily with a gain in performance. I am over six feet tall, yet it is comfortable to drive on long trips or around town. I have yet to find a car that combines the power (150 plus HP) with the mpg and the room that this little baby offers. I have had zero trouble with it and I will keep it until it dies. I HIGHLY recommend a Neon to anyone who wants a performance car that has all of these pluses and still runs on regular gas.

Favorite Features

The exhaust note, cupholders, trunk space, powerful DOHC motor, frugal at the pump, a total blast to drive, no rattles in the interior, reliability, quiet, but not sedate. A smooth shifting 5-speed tranny.

Suggested Improvements

A little more lateral support in the front seats with lumbar control. Power window switches that don't hit me in the knee, height adjustable seat belts. Rear disc brakes as standard equipment. I know I can get them thru the aftermarket, but that is not the point.