1998 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
HEAD GASKET
By neonrt on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

Dodge seriously needs to get off the butt and recall the dodge neon head gasket. Im getting ready to replace mine, but the repair is costly and i really dont want to do the work but im not going to pay someone for something that i can do. Dodge on the other hand has had many complaints though different people and still no response from dodge. Its bullshit and dodge needs to show customer support. I will never buy another dodge and i hope that if you have a neon and have replaced the head gasket, to call dodge and complain, also if you have a neon and have not replaced the head gasket, get ready to do so!

Years have passed
By Capt M on 11/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan

I have driven this car for 5 years and it has been wonderful. It performs better than cars costing twice as much. The only minor complaints are: head gasket went out (replaced by dealer) and that it is a bit buzzy on high speed interstate driving. Otherwise, I would recommend this car to anyone!

Neon's Rock
By Qbert on 10/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

Dependability and good mileage. This car is rock solid. It has some road noise but what small car doesn't. 4.5 years now with nothing but gas and oil changes. Except for a bit of wind noise on the drivers side, frameless window, this car is the ultimate for price vs. performance. Unless you need a truck or have a three kids, I highly recommend this vehicle. Biggest complaints: All I see on the road is bumpers and headlights (hard to get away from that in a small car). Summary: Not a luxery vehicle but great return on investment:)

VTEC Killer
By Intense Blue on 09/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 2dr Coupe

I puchased the car new in May 98. Was'nt sure about the stripes until it arrived. Had them painted on later. Performance/price ratio is unbeatable by any mfgr. Excellent ride for performance oriented suspension. Changed to composite head gasket due to oil leak at rear of engine. Use Mobil 1 5/30 with no oil consumption since initial 1 qt in 1st 1k miles. 28/36 MPG. I have surprised many a Honda VTEC or Mustang GT owner. Body fit & finish excellent. Braking system excellent. Considering adding 03 SRT-4 to my collection.

Great Car
By SpeedyNeonR/T on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 2dr Coupe

I bought my Neon R/T used with only 4,000 miles on it and have driven it for 3 years now. 70,000 miles and still going strong. I had the head gasket replaced under warranty at 35,000 miles. Other than that, no problems. Everything still works as new. I am impressed with the reliability of the engine and transmission. I have really put a beating on both of them and it's sitll running as strong as ever.

Absolutely the worst car I've ever had!
By JMc on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

Absolutely the worst car I've ever had, and the worst dealer/factory service I've ever experienced...! Problems too numerous to list here. Quality control, vehicle integrity, and customer satisfaction are NOT Chrysler strong points. Premature failure of the automatic transmission at 8,000 miles. After several repeated repair attempts over 15 months by the servicing dealer, the transmission problem(s) were never corrected. A plea for assistance to DCX Canada was brushed off by a form letter boasting about how qualified their dealer service personnel are to solve technical problems. Not true. Chrysler has yet to learn the meaning of "customer satisfaction".

I am scared to drive my car
By VeryDisappointed on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and have had nothing but problems with it. It has 34,000 miles on it and I already had it break down on me SEVERAL times. The transmission was replaced before the car even hit 30,000 miles. I am scared to drive my car most of the time because I am scared of what may happen.

Dodge Neon: Good Car at a Good Price
By K-man on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I have owned my used 1998 Dodge Neon Sport(highline) since I bought it in Feb. of 2002, and have been happy with it since. I bought the car as a replacement for my 1992 Geo Tracker that was totaled in a side impact crash in Dec. 2001. So far, I have been very happy with my Dodge Neon. It runs good, it is comfortable, gets fairly good gas mileage, and is fun to drive. It also looks good (big plus to me and one of the reasons that I bought a US car insted of a import) and has a great accelartion great handling, and a great stereo!

Die NEON Die!!!!!
By OCO13 on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I do not recommend this vehicle. I have had nothing but problems. It has blown two head gaskets and the head gasket is leaking again, which is a costly repair might I add. It runs poor, and drives horrilbe.

shoulda bought a ford
By nkcmetro on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I bought my neon new 4yrs ago. i liked it tell 15000mi when the struts whent bad.from 15000mi to 38000mi I have replace the following; headgasket,1000$ in machine work, head, lifters, rings, pistons, oil pump, timming belt, rotors, fuelpump, ecu, ing. system, inst. cluster, torque converter, and last but not least the wiper motor. the piece still needs a blower motor and window cranks. dodge sold me a piece of crap, they know it and dont care. I HATE DODGE!