Used 1998 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Great Car For Price
By Larry S.

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

Have the Sport Coupe with manual tranny, bought new in 1998 for $13 grand. As of this post have 71,000 miles on it. Getting 32 mpg overall, 36 on interstate. Great performance and handling. It's a fun car to drive! Needs premium gas to get max performance but I "mix" 89 octane with premium to lower gas cost. In 10 years the only major problem was the water pump died. Cost was $600 to repair which was high but couldn't shop around for lower price at time. For the low price and great performance it can't be beat in its segment of the market. I also have a 2003 Neon (only made as 4 door)with manual, but it only gets 26 mpg avg. and ain't as quick or the looker of the coupe.

Looks, gas mileage for performance, low sticker price ($5 grand less than Honda Civic with more horses).

Neon no longer sold! Dodge should bring the 98 coupe style back (small performance car with high mpg) with 2008 gas prices what they are... this type car will be built soon, it was 7 years ahead of its time!

Best car I've owned
By Allen

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

Bought the 5speed manual version new in fall of 1997, for my 50 mile commute. Has never quit on me. No repairs, just normal maintenance. The dealer called me in to replace the head gasket early on. Now has 233,000 miles and it just keeps going. I check my gas mileage every fillup, and it's averaged 35mpg. This car has got to rank up there as one of the best automotive values in history.

Power, fuel economy, reliability.

I suggest they resurrect the Neon. Can't understand why they dropped it. Now Chrysler offers zero models getting over 30mpg - not too smart with oil at $88 a barrel.

Great performance and handling
By Tracy Morgan

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 2dr Coupe

I loved this car. I had it for years. Timing belt broke at about 210,000 miles. Spent about $1300 dollars. Drove it a month and now it is smoking lilke a freight train. I want it fixed. I love the car. I drove a newer neon and the comfort, handling and performance was nowhere near as good as my Neon.

This car handled great. It got decent gas mileage. It was fun to drive.

OK car, but not built to last
By april

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

It is an OK car but mine leakes water from the roof around the front windshield and under the glove box. One of my doors doesn't close all the way so the door ajar light is always on. I have had a crack in my oil tank and had to have my transmission replaced. My air also doesn't work. It was good when I first got it but now it is falling apart.

It is good on gas and a nice compact car.

Reliable and efficient commuter vehicle
By BrianH

1998 Dodge Neon Competition 2dr Coupe

Bought 5/1/2006 with 25k miles (yes, 25k). Had to get A/C compressor replaced (normal for age) and replaced a malfunctioning EGR valve. I was aware of the issues before purchase. I bought the car for $4,300 and I considered it a decent deal despite the fact that it's a Neon. I've put on 14k miles since purchase without issue. The oil is relatively clean after 3k miles (mixed hwy/city). The shifter isn't the most confidence-inspiring one around, but I've driven much worse. I averaged 28-32 mpg between May and November, but once the weather got colder my mpg dropped to 25-28 (also let my car heat up for 10 mins in mornings). Significant interior noise and rattling.

Great gas mileage, despite significant decrease in the colder weather (normal). The car has strong acceleration if you drive it at higher RPM, but anyone shifting before 3k will get poor pickup in the next gear. Comfortable seats, spacious rear seats. Alloy rims. Good fact speakers.

Better road noise dampening. The windows fog very easily, and the rear defrost works poorly. The tail light gaskets leaked water into my trunk and I had to re-seal them. No issues since. Shifter seems cheap, suspension very taught (normal for the sportier ACR's, a good thing for cornering though).