1998 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Reliable, Fun car
By moneyshot on 11/05/05 00:12 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

This car has been an amazing vehicle. I have had it since new. It had a head gasket leak at 45000 miles, but the dealer took care of it for free. The sunroof broke on it 6 times. Those are the only problems I had with it. I had it in Germany with me, and spent lots of time in the governor (118 mph). I now have 120000 on it, and haven't even had to replace the altenator, or anything else not mandated by the owners manual.

My first car won me over
By neonkinpatsu on 05/15/05 15:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I've had my 98 almost 5 years. As much as I've heard about the Neon back then, I was reluctant. Before buying I did a lot of research and drove at least 3 from each year. Now I've driven them all. I couldn't afford a new 2000 then, but I was aiming for a 98 because I noticed a huge difference in price. Once I drove mine, I was hooked. The head gasket was replaced before I bought it, so no issue there. Tranny died this year but the warranty covered it. EGR valve went in 2002. Other than that, only VERY minimal maintenance. I'm considering a new car because of age and trade-in value. If the new Neons are still out in a year or 2, I'm likely to buy a Neon again. I love my baby. I will cry when I trade her in.

Good Bang for the Buck
By King Piper on 11/07/04 19:18 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

Purchased new with 1500 rebate. Fun car to drive; great gas mileage and very quick and fun to drive. Replace trunk gasket because it always had a wet trunk. Replaced heat gasket at 65k with Dodge deductible of 150, replaced timing belt at same time for another 350 while it was taken apart. Changed oil every 3k mile and looks great on the inside. Front disk pads replaced at 90k, wow thats some good pads. Replaced headlights because of foggy condition of the lens after 80k miles got them on ebay for 165 and really easy to install. Keep up with the maintence and this car will keep up with the best of them, 125k and still going. I would recommend a Neon to anyone that ask.

Great Tow Vehicle
By pacerpapa on 08/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

This vehicle was purchased to be towed behind our motorhome and used upon arrival at our destinations while travelling. It served us well for six years without a single problem. Just changed out the OEM battery after six and one-half years. No other repairs have been needed.

Good Car!
By Robert K. on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

This car is an excellent daily commuter. Nothing fancy. It runs good and the air-conditioner is great. The only negative is the headlights which become foggy over time.

I Keep Giving it One More Chance
By neondeb on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan

This car is fun to drive, very sporty, great gas mileage (29-30). However, we had 22 service visits in first 3 years, 20 of which were for Service Engine Light! They never really knew why, but kept replacing things. After 50K miles, it mostly stopped. AC died at 50,300; after all our trouble, they did a courtesy adjustment. Sun roof has issues. One bad thing...slow- speed (20 MPH) front end collision (fender bender) completely crushed hood/fender/radiator/AC condenser! Too much damage to bother fixing, so sad to see it go.

pretty good!
By cgiven3 on 03/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

Great first/second car. It saw me through several trips back/forth from Louisiana to Illinois, including all my belongings! Roomy, fuel efficient, low-maintenance, and affordable!

Crap on Wheels
By DantheMan on 01/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

We've put about $4000 into this car, repairing things that should not break. Sun roof-4 times Head Gasket Front Transmission Seal Real Oil Seal Oil Pan Gasket Thermostat Water Pump CD Player Plus, you get to hear the eletrical sounds as they pulse through the radio. The windshield wipers sound cool, the ac has a high screetchy noise, whereas the redefrost is a low hum. No, I'm not kidding. Whenever you turn something on, you HEAR it on the radio. Stay away. Stay far away.

I got the best one!
By YukiHyo on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

My car is probably the best Neon ever made. I have driven it pretty much into the ground, but it's still going. I had NO problems until well over the 100K mark, but it's now starting to show its age at 183K miles. Until about a year ago, the only problem was a battery that quit at 116K.

Not that shabby
By Frenchgrl9 on 09/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

Although I did have to have a few things replaced in the car like everyone else, I was fortunate that it was under warrenty. I recently was in a wreck and the car kept me from being seriously injured. I have a neon rental car now! This one drives even better than the first and is making me think that I might try a newer neon again. I have been informed by reliable mechanics that the newer neons do not have the same problems as the others.