Used 1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Best first car!
By Kyle

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I've had my neon for about a year now. I had it given to me from my parents at 98,000 miles and it now has 101,000 so you can guess that I am happy with it. I love the gas mileage and the dependability, I am not to fond of the power though. Getting on the freeway is not very fun. Overall I am just happy that I got a car that doesn't need to be in the shop every few months.

the originality and simplicity of the vehicle.

what can you expect from a base model compact.

Fun but big-time TROUBLE
By Paul

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan

When I found my Neon R/T, white with blue stripes, I thought I had gone to heaven. And there is no question that it is a fun car to drive when it runs but I have had nothing but trouble since I bought it. I have had the engine rebuilt twice and numerous things replaced, much more than I would expect even for a car that has over 150,000 miles on the odometer (I bought it at 94,000 miles). The trunk and right rear seat area leaks buckets of water in every rain or snow storm. If it wasn't for the consistent 30 mpg I would dump the car ASAP.

It is fun to drive and gets great gas mileage.

Apparently blowing head gaskets was a significant problem for the early Neons.

Best car I've owned
By Allen

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

Bought the 5speed manual version new in fall of 1997, for my 50 mile commute. Has never quit on me. No repairs, just normal maintenance. The dealer called me in to replace the head gasket early on. Now has 233,000 miles and it just keeps going. I check my gas mileage every fillup, and it's averaged 35mpg. This car has got to rank up there as one of the best automotive values in history.

Power, fuel economy, reliability.

I suggest they resurrect the Neon. Can't understand why they dropped it. Now Chrysler offers zero models getting over 30mpg - not too smart with oil at $88 a barrel.

OK car, but not built to last
By april

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

It is an OK car but mine leakes water from the roof around the front windshield and under the glove box. One of my doors doesn't close all the way so the door ajar light is always on. I have had a crack in my oil tank and had to have my transmission replaced. My air also doesn't work. It was good when I first got it but now it is falling apart.

It is good on gas and a nice compact car.

I Heart It
By LuvMyNeon

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I have had my Neon since May of 2006. Purchased it with about 89,000 miles on it. Was previously owned by an elderly couple who traded it in for a newer car. I have only had one repair that is not considered a normal repair, (misfire in a cylinder) cost was about $130. I love the car, it is my first car and it is super fun to drive. Other repairs were I had 3 belts replaced (timing, power steering, alternator belts). Other than that, it is a great car. I feel comfortable driving it and I'm 6ft tall. Just wish it had power windows and locks. My only complaint is the fact that you almost feel the road when driving, and the rotors need to be replaced. I love my Neon!

CD player. Cute/sport look. Handling, acceleration and cup holders! - and so much more!

Power windows and power locks. It could use a little more horsepower, but I do not have a Neon sport and I'm sure the Neon sport has better pick up than the Highline models.