Used 1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Reliable and efficient commuter vehicle
By BrianH

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Competition 2dr Coupe

Bought 5/1/2006 with 25k miles (yes, 25k). Had to get A/C compressor replaced (normal for age) and replaced a malfunctioning EGR valve. I was aware of the issues before purchase. I bought the car for $4,300 and I considered it a decent deal despite the fact that it's a Neon. I've put on 14k miles since purchase without issue. The oil is relatively clean after 3k miles (mixed hwy/city). The shifter isn't the most confidence-inspiring one around, but I've driven much worse. I averaged 28-32 mpg between May and November, but once the weather got colder my mpg dropped to 25-28 (also let my car heat up for 10 mins in mornings). Significant interior noise and rattling.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, despite significant decrease in the colder weather (normal). The car has strong acceleration if you drive it at higher RPM, but anyone shifting before 3k will get poor pickup in the next gear. Comfortable seats, spacious rear seats. Alloy rims. Good fact speakers.

Suggested Improvements

Better road noise dampening. The windows fog very easily, and the rear defrost works poorly. The tail light gaskets leaked water into my trunk and I had to re-seal them. No issues since. Shifter seems cheap, suspension very taught (normal for the sportier ACR's, a good thing for cornering though).

Neon R/T
By Paul

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

This is one of the best cars for the money. Even after 7 years, it can't be matched on a performance for the dollar and reliability basis. I drove the heck out of it for 132,000 miles without even so much as a wimper. No only did I teach two teenage daughters on the car, we autocrossed it hard for 5 years! What other car could be had for $13,000, 7.5 sec 0-60; 15.9 1/4 mile and 130mph top end and gets 37+ MPG? To top it off it's big enough to haul anything except a sheet of plywood. All I can say is wow!

Favorite Features

Favorite feature is the engine by far. Power all the way to the 7250RPM rev limiter

Suggested Improvements

A few extra ponys could never hurt

Best $5K I ever spent
By ETPHONEHOME

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car used for about $4K. I knew it had an oil leak when purchased. I had to change the head gasket and drive shaft seal, and also decided to change the water pump. Another $1K invested. The head gasket was known design defect that was fixed, and I've had no leaks since. The car now has 160K miles on it and still runs great. No problems. It's fun to drive. It has a good interior and great head room for persons under 6 ft. I'm getting 36 mpg (70- 75 mph) in warmer months with good Mobil gas...generic gas about 3 mpg less. Best $5K I have ever invested. An excellent basic commuter car.

Favorite Features

Nibble handling. Good pickup with 5 speed manual. Easy to change spark plugs, wires and oil filter.

Suggested Improvements

6 speed manual...to get better mpg at high speeds. Improve access to air filter.

Fun to drive
By Doug

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

I bought the car to comute to work ($4200/63K miles). I've done zero maintance in the two years I've driven it (no oil changes). It has never broke down. I wash it twice a year whether it needs it or not. It's been the cheepest car I've owned.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, corners well, stops well. All around a fun car to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Make the DOHC engine standard on all Neons.

Not as bad as its rep
By JustynTime

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

I needed a new car. I wanted a neon. I found a 95 neon with alittle over 100k on the ticker. I never had a problem with it.then my girlfreind wrecked it. I needed a new car, again I wanted a neon. This time I got a 98 with about 50k miles. I have had to replace the head gasket but the key to not having to replace it again is making sure you replace it with the correct gasket. Being that it is 2004 you will be buying one of these babies used and the head gasket has already been replaced. Now my girlfreind needed a new car. Guess what we got, thats right a 95 4door neon. Out of our 3 neons we have only had the one problem.

Favorite Features

Lots of upgrades either from mopar or the aftermarket companies. You can not beat what you get for the price

Suggested Improvements

I cant think of anything. These cars go as low as $300 used, you get more than you pay for. When they were brand new the head gasket wouldve been a valid complaint but like I said chances are your new used neon has been taken care of. www.neons.org can help you alot!