1998 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Best car I've owned
By Allen on 10/18/07 13:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

Bought the 5speed manual version new in fall of 1997, for my 50 mile commute. Has never quit on me. No repairs, just normal maintenance. The dealer called me in to replace the head gasket early on. Now has 233,000 miles and it just keeps going. I check my gas mileage every fillup, and it's averaged 35mpg. This car has got to rank up there as one of the best automotive values in history.

Great performance and handling
By Tracy Morgan on 09/11/07 12:36 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 2dr Coupe

I loved this car. I had it for years. Timing belt broke at about 210,000 miles. Spent about $1300 dollars. Drove it a month and now it is smoking lilke a freight train. I want it fixed. I love the car. I drove a newer neon and the comfort, handling and performance was nowhere near as good as my Neon.

OK car, but not built to last
By april on 05/28/07 17:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

It is an OK car but mine leakes water from the roof around the front windshield and under the glove box. One of my doors doesn't close all the way so the door ajar light is always on. I have had a crack in my oil tank and had to have my transmission replaced. My air also doesn't work. It was good when I first got it but now it is falling apart.

Reliable and efficient commuter vehicle
By BrianH on 02/03/07 10:55 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Competition 2dr Coupe

Bought 5/1/2006 with 25k miles (yes, 25k). Had to get A/C compressor replaced (normal for age) and replaced a malfunctioning EGR valve. I was aware of the issues before purchase. I bought the car for $4,300 and I considered it a decent deal despite the fact that it's a Neon. I've put on 14k miles since purchase without issue. The oil is relatively clean after 3k miles (mixed hwy/city). The shifter isn't the most confidence-inspiring one around, but I've driven much worse. I averaged 28-32 mpg between May and November, but once the weather got colder my mpg dropped to 25-28 (also let my car heat up for 10 mins in mornings). Significant interior noise and rattling.

I Heart It
By LuvMyNeon on 01/13/07 16:39 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I have had my Neon since May of 2006. Purchased it with about 89,000 miles on it. Was previously owned by an elderly couple who traded it in for a newer car. I have only had one repair that is not considered a normal repair, (misfire in a cylinder) cost was about $130. I love the car, it is my first car and it is super fun to drive. Other repairs were I had 3 belts replaced (timing, power steering, alternator belts). Other than that, it is a great car. I feel comfortable driving it and I'm 6ft tall. Just wish it had power windows and locks. My only complaint is the fact that you almost feel the road when driving, and the rotors need to be replaced. I love my Neon!

Piece of Junk, but still kinda fun
By Nathan on 03/18/06 12:54 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I owned my Neon for almost 3 years, I put 72,000 miles on it. It was OK for the first couple of months, but then the rotors started going bad, the right back speaker never would work, after being replaced 3 times, it was a very plain car with no bells and whistles. It was surprisingly peppy with the 2.0 L 4 cyl automatic, with 132 hp. Not much but I was younger and didn't need much. By the time I got rid of it it's speedometer and all other gauges would quit working from time to time which made the mileage not always work, so it probably had about 1,000 miles more on it than what it said. I would not recommend this car to anyone who drives a lot.

Reliable, Fun car
By moneyshot on 11/05/05 00:12 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

This car has been an amazing vehicle. I have had it since new. It had a head gasket leak at 45000 miles, but the dealer took care of it for free. The sunroof broke on it 6 times. Those are the only problems I had with it. I had it in Germany with me, and spent lots of time in the governor (118 mph). I now have 120000 on it, and haven't even had to replace the altenator, or anything else not mandated by the owners manual.

Neon R/T
By Paul on 06/04/05 11:27 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 2dr Coupe

This is one of the best cars for the money. Even after 7 years, it can't be matched on a performance for the dollar and reliability basis. I drove the heck out of it for 132,000 miles without even so much as a wimper. No only did I teach two teenage daughters on the car, we autocrossed it hard for 5 years! What other car could be had for $13,000, 7.5 sec 0-60; 15.9 1/4 mile and 130mph top end and gets 37+ MPG? To top it off it's big enough to haul anything except a sheet of plywood. All I can say is wow!

Best $5K I ever spent
By ETPHONEHOME on 05/17/05 11:37 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car used for about $4K. I knew it had an oil leak when purchased. I had to change the head gasket and drive shaft seal, and also decided to change the water pump. Another $1K invested. The head gasket was known design defect that was fixed, and I've had no leaks since. The car now has 160K miles on it and still runs great. No problems. It's fun to drive. It has a good interior and great head room for persons under 6 ft. I'm getting 36 mpg (70- 75 mph) in warmer months with good Mobil gas...generic gas about 3 mpg less. Best $5K I have ever invested. An excellent basic commuter car.

My first car won me over
By neonkinpatsu on 05/15/05 15:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I've had my 98 almost 5 years. As much as I've heard about the Neon back then, I was reluctant. Before buying I did a lot of research and drove at least 3 from each year. Now I've driven them all. I couldn't afford a new 2000 then, but I was aiming for a 98 because I noticed a huge difference in price. Once I drove mine, I was hooked. The head gasket was replaced before I bought it, so no issue there. Tranny died this year but the warranty covered it. EGR valve went in 2002. Other than that, only VERY minimal maintenance. I'm considering a new car because of age and trade-in value. If the new Neons are still out in a year or 2, I'm likely to buy a Neon again. I love my baby. I will cry when I trade her in.