1998 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Its had its problems...
By neon1998c on 05/31/11 16:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

My 1998 Dodge Neon has had belt issues where the water pump locked up and the timing belt jumped. Then a month later the serpentine belt shredded completely and had to be replaced as well. The car rattles a lot when I drive it, and shakes bad when it idles. My Neon doesn't have much power to it either. Its got bad acceleration, (it doesn't pick up speed quickly). Also my dome light and my shifter light don't work, (I changed the dome light and yes have checked the fuses and light switch, I don't know how to change the shifter light.) Over all, I wish I had a different car, or a better Neon :(

278,000 miles and still going strong
By huskers57 on 01/31/11 10:30 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I bought my Neon new in 1998 and have had only one major issue and that was with the defective head gasket. Other than general maintenance, it has been a great car. I just put a set of 75000 mile tires on it and I talked to my mechanic and he said it should hit 400,000 with no trouble. Have always used Catrol Syntec and I get about 30-35 in town and around 40 on the highway. I have had a few trips (recently) where I hit 45-48 mpg. Other minor issues include the leak around the driver's side tail light and my sunroof motor went out. Could not have spent $17,600 any better way.

Best first car!
By Kyle on 04/19/10 21:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I've had my neon for about a year now. I had it given to me from my parents at 98,000 miles and it now has 101,000 so you can guess that I am happy with it. I love the gas mileage and the dependability, I am not to fond of the power though. Getting on the freeway is not very fun. Overall I am just happy that I got a car that doesn't need to be in the shop every few months.

OK car, but not built to last
By april on 05/28/07 17:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

It is an OK car but mine leakes water from the roof around the front windshield and under the glove box. One of my doors doesn't close all the way so the door ajar light is always on. I have had a crack in my oil tank and had to have my transmission replaced. My air also doesn't work. It was good when I first got it but now it is falling apart.

I Heart It
By LuvMyNeon on 01/13/07 16:39 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I have had my Neon since May of 2006. Purchased it with about 89,000 miles on it. Was previously owned by an elderly couple who traded it in for a newer car. I have only had one repair that is not considered a normal repair, (misfire in a cylinder) cost was about $130. I love the car, it is my first car and it is super fun to drive. Other repairs were I had 3 belts replaced (timing, power steering, alternator belts). Other than that, it is a great car. I feel comfortable driving it and I'm 6ft tall. Just wish it had power windows and locks. My only complaint is the fact that you almost feel the road when driving, and the rotors need to be replaced. I love my Neon!

Piece of Junk, but still kinda fun
By Nathan on 03/18/06 12:54 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I owned my Neon for almost 3 years, I put 72,000 miles on it. It was OK for the first couple of months, but then the rotors started going bad, the right back speaker never would work, after being replaced 3 times, it was a very plain car with no bells and whistles. It was surprisingly peppy with the 2.0 L 4 cyl automatic, with 132 hp. Not much but I was younger and didn't need much. By the time I got rid of it it's speedometer and all other gauges would quit working from time to time which made the mileage not always work, so it probably had about 1,000 miles more on it than what it said. I would not recommend this car to anyone who drives a lot.

My first car won me over
By neonkinpatsu on 05/15/05 15:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I've had my 98 almost 5 years. As much as I've heard about the Neon back then, I was reluctant. Before buying I did a lot of research and drove at least 3 from each year. Now I've driven them all. I couldn't afford a new 2000 then, but I was aiming for a 98 because I noticed a huge difference in price. Once I drove mine, I was hooked. The head gasket was replaced before I bought it, so no issue there. Tranny died this year but the warranty covered it. EGR valve went in 2002. Other than that, only VERY minimal maintenance. I'm considering a new car because of age and trade-in value. If the new Neons are still out in a year or 2, I'm likely to buy a Neon again. I love my baby. I will cry when I trade her in.

Great Tow Vehicle
By pacerpapa on 08/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

This vehicle was purchased to be towed behind our motorhome and used upon arrival at our destinations while travelling. It served us well for six years without a single problem. Just changed out the OEM battery after six and one-half years. No other repairs have been needed.

Good Car!
By Robert K. on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

This car is an excellent daily commuter. Nothing fancy. It runs good and the air-conditioner is great. The only negative is the headlights which become foggy over time.

pretty good!
By cgiven3 on 03/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

Great first/second car. It saw me through several trips back/forth from Louisiana to Illinois, including all my belongings! Roomy, fuel efficient, low-maintenance, and affordable!