Used 1998 Dodge Neon Sport Sedan Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

1998 4dr poor man sports car
By daniel lipe

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

hi I own a 1998 4dr five speed manual dodge neon its absolutely amazing well one its not your typical neon I have your standard 2.0 DOHC 16v but the difference is its got stage 2 fuel injectors and stage two fuel pump and stage 3 racing clutch and I hollowed out the caddy and cut off the muffler and installed a 200$ exhaust tip on it and it truly sounds amazing no not a car fartin in a tin can sound its fast and furious sound quality but one thing I cant figure out is it gets 48 mpg highway and 39 in town but according to the specs its 41 and 32 my neon is so fast it suprizes me ive never lost to a race best example I can think of how fast she is I smoked a 08 mustang gt and 2014 jeep and and suv mercedezes and 2001 turbo charged five speed Toyota celica ive that's just some examples here is a good one this guy has a 90's model hatch batch civic or accord not sure but we raced one day and he didn't win or loose we stayed neck and neck and after the race we pulled over and talked and he asked how much cash I put under the hood he said he has dumped 3gs so far and I said none I bought the car with 112000 on body and 60,000 on motor for 1400 bucks I used to have all the paper work on all the performance parts installed but 12/08/14 my house burnt to the ground lost everything and even two of my dogs but long story short I can do 0-60 on a good 4.8 secs flat but average is 5.3 to 5.0 secs fastest ive had the car is 135 rev limiter is set at 7500 I cant do 90 in third gear with tac at 6500 rpms yup super high geared oh and one more thing I have a aftermarket racing spoiler on it 700$ bought off a friend for 100$

Sporty looking, decent on gas, and reliable.
By zanderlion

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

I own a black 1998 Dodge Neon Sport Sedan with an automatic transmission.
I'm not sure how many owners its had.
I bought the car in October of 2011 from a mechanic for $1600. The car has 135,280 miles. I noticed oil was leaking out the gasket seal. So I had my cousin replace the seal.
And the leak stopped. My cousin also put new spark plugs in, and he noticed a couple of spark plugs were drowned in oil.
I give the car it's routine oil changes every 3 to 5000 miles. I never had any trouble starting it, even in the coldest winter last year, it started fine. The car handles the snow ok. I had to replace a fuel pipe, because it rusted through.
In conclusion, I think it's a reliable fun car.

My favorite features on the car would have to be the exterior design for starters. To me, it almost looks like a Porsche. The car is a little sluggish at normal acceleration. But, when you put the pedal to the medal, then it really moves! I like how it sounds to when all the horses in all 4 cylinders are being fired. I think the car looks best in black. I was lucky to find one in black.

I think the creators of that car could have did a better job with safety of the car. The quality of plastics for the dash could have been better.

Best car I've owned
By Allen

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

Bought the 5speed manual version new in fall of 1997, for my 50 mile commute. Has never quit on me. No repairs, just normal maintenance. The dealer called me in to replace the head gasket early on. Now has 233,000 miles and it just keeps going. I check my gas mileage every fillup, and it's averaged 35mpg. This car has got to rank up there as one of the best automotive values in history.

Power, fuel economy, reliability.

I suggest they resurrect the Neon. Can't understand why they dropped it. Now Chrysler offers zero models getting over 30mpg - not too smart with oil at $88 a barrel.

Reliable, Fun car
By moneyshot

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

This car has been an amazing vehicle. I have had it since new. It had a head gasket leak at 45000 miles, but the dealer took care of it for free. The sunroof broke on it 6 times. Those are the only problems I had with it. I had it in Germany with me, and spent lots of time in the governor (118 mph). I now have 120000 on it, and haven't even had to replace the altenator, or anything else not mandated by the owners manual.

Reliability. Gas Mileage. Power for its size. All around great car. Great price.

Well, I hear they won't be making them anymore in 2007. Can't improve on something not scheduled to be built anymore. I really wanted to buy another one new, but I guess like GM and the Camaro, the thing to do now for the big 3 is to sell out.

Good Bang for the Buck
By King Piper

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

Purchased new with 1500 rebate. Fun car to drive; great gas mileage and very quick and fun to drive. Replace trunk gasket because it always had a wet trunk. Replaced heat gasket at 65k with Dodge deductible of 150, replaced timing belt at same time for another 350 while it was taken apart. Changed oil every 3k mile and looks great on the inside. Front disk pads replaced at 90k, wow thats some good pads. Replaced headlights because of foggy condition of the lens after 80k miles got them on ebay for 165 and really easy to install. Keep up with the maintence and this car will keep up with the best of them, 125k and still going. I would recommend a Neon to anyone that ask.

Fun to drive. Good gas mileage. American Built.

Head gasket already done by Dodge, way to go Dodge. Keep up the good work AMERICAN automakers.