1998 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Sporty looking, decent on gas, and reliable.
By zanderlion on 10/03/12 04:29 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

I own a black 1998 Dodge Neon Sport Sedan with an automatic transmission. I'm not sure how many owners its had. I bought the car in October of 2011 from a mechanic for $1600. The car has 135,280 miles. I noticed oil was leaking out the gasket seal. So I had my cousin replace the seal. And the leak stopped. My cousin also put new spark plugs in, and he noticed a couple of spark plugs were drowned in oil. I give the car it's routine oil changes every 3 to 5000 miles. I never had any trouble starting it, even in the coldest winter last year, it started fine. The car handles the snow ok. I had to replace a fuel pipe, because it rusted through. In conclusion, I think it's a reliable fun car.

Perfect first time, long time car!
By ch_burne2 on 09/16/11 20:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan

Ive had this car since about 07, when I acquired it from my mom who was the 2nd owner (originally bought from a dealership). Ive been driving it since I was 16 so its been through a lot. Aside from regular maintenance this car has been very low maintenance. Ive had the oil changed about every 5k miles and a few tune-ups but this car has not asked for much more. In terms of repairs this is what Ive had to have done: -brakes a couple times in 7 years -fuel pump twice (wear in the fuel line which was unnoticed) -various parts of the cooling system Still has the original clutch after 13 years! This car lasts forever if you care enough.

Its had its problems...
By neon1998c on 05/31/11 16:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

My 1998 Dodge Neon has had belt issues where the water pump locked up and the timing belt jumped. Then a month later the serpentine belt shredded completely and had to be replaced as well. The car rattles a lot when I drive it, and shakes bad when it idles. My Neon doesn't have much power to it either. Its got bad acceleration, (it doesn't pick up speed quickly). Also my dome light and my shifter light don't work, (I changed the dome light and yes have checked the fuses and light switch, I don't know how to change the shifter light.) Over all, I wish I had a different car, or a better Neon :(

278,000 miles and still going strong
By huskers57 on 01/31/11 10:30 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I bought my Neon new in 1998 and have had only one major issue and that was with the defective head gasket. Other than general maintenance, it has been a great car. I just put a set of 75000 mile tires on it and I talked to my mechanic and he said it should hit 400,000 with no trouble. Have always used Catrol Syntec and I get about 30-35 in town and around 40 on the highway. I have had a few trips (recently) where I hit 45-48 mpg. Other minor issues include the leak around the driver's side tail light and my sunroof motor went out. Could not have spent $17,600 any better way.

Best first car!
By Kyle on 04/19/10 21:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I've had my neon for about a year now. I had it given to me from my parents at 98,000 miles and it now has 101,000 so you can guess that I am happy with it. I love the gas mileage and the dependability, I am not to fond of the power though. Getting on the freeway is not very fun. Overall I am just happy that I got a car that doesn't need to be in the shop every few months.

Fun but big-time TROUBLE
By Paul on 07/23/08 22:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan

When I found my Neon R/T, white with blue stripes, I thought I had gone to heaven. And there is no question that it is a fun car to drive when it runs but I have had nothing but trouble since I bought it. I have had the engine rebuilt twice and numerous things replaced, much more than I would expect even for a car that has over 150,000 miles on the odometer (I bought it at 94,000 miles). The trunk and right rear seat area leaks buckets of water in every rain or snow storm. If it wasn't for the consistent 30 mpg I would dump the car ASAP.

Best car I've owned
By Allen on 10/18/07 13:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

Bought the 5speed manual version new in fall of 1997, for my 50 mile commute. Has never quit on me. No repairs, just normal maintenance. The dealer called me in to replace the head gasket early on. Now has 233,000 miles and it just keeps going. I check my gas mileage every fillup, and it's averaged 35mpg. This car has got to rank up there as one of the best automotive values in history.

OK car, but not built to last
By april on 05/28/07 17:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

It is an OK car but mine leakes water from the roof around the front windshield and under the glove box. One of my doors doesn't close all the way so the door ajar light is always on. I have had a crack in my oil tank and had to have my transmission replaced. My air also doesn't work. It was good when I first got it but now it is falling apart.

I Heart It
By LuvMyNeon on 01/13/07 16:39 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I have had my Neon since May of 2006. Purchased it with about 89,000 miles on it. Was previously owned by an elderly couple who traded it in for a newer car. I have only had one repair that is not considered a normal repair, (misfire in a cylinder) cost was about $130. I love the car, it is my first car and it is super fun to drive. Other repairs were I had 3 belts replaced (timing, power steering, alternator belts). Other than that, it is a great car. I feel comfortable driving it and I'm 6ft tall. Just wish it had power windows and locks. My only complaint is the fact that you almost feel the road when driving, and the rotors need to be replaced. I love my Neon!

Piece of Junk, but still kinda fun
By Nathan on 03/18/06 12:54 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I owned my Neon for almost 3 years, I put 72,000 miles on it. It was OK for the first couple of months, but then the rotors started going bad, the right back speaker never would work, after being replaced 3 times, it was a very plain car with no bells and whistles. It was surprisingly peppy with the 2.0 L 4 cyl automatic, with 132 hp. Not much but I was younger and didn't need much. By the time I got rid of it it's speedometer and all other gauges would quit working from time to time which made the mileage not always work, so it probably had about 1,000 miles more on it than what it said. I would not recommend this car to anyone who drives a lot.