1998 Dodge Neon Coupe 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe - Consumer Reviews

Competition Coupe (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Reliable and efficient commuter vehicle
By BrianH on 02/03/07 10:55 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Competition 2dr Coupe

Bought 5/1/2006 with 25k miles (yes, 25k). Had to get A/C compressor replaced (normal for age) and replaced a malfunctioning EGR valve. I was aware of the issues before purchase. I bought the car for $4,300 and I considered it a decent deal despite the fact that it's a Neon. I've put on 14k miles since purchase without issue. The oil is relatively clean after 3k miles (mixed hwy/city). The shifter isn't the most confidence-inspiring one around, but I've driven much worse. I averaged 28-32 mpg between May and November, but once the weather got colder my mpg dropped to 25-28 (also let my car heat up for 10 mins in mornings). Significant interior noise and rattling.

Never buy a Neon
By Jinx-y on 03/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Competition 2dr Coupe

I bought my Dodge Neon used with 40,000 miles. Now, at 70,000 miles, I cannot wait to get it off my hands. The car is poorly constructed. I've spent way too much of my free time fixing the car. Only 3 months ago I dropped almost a grand on a tune-up. Now, the head gasket is broken and I have engine damage. Why did Dodge continue to make this car when they knew the head gaskets would go with so few miles? It's a very expensive thing to fix. For a little more money, I could have had a reliable car and peace of mind.