Used 1998 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Couple things people dont know
By jimalee2000

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

I bought my car at an auction last year. I have driven it every day and had no major problems other than: The 4 cyl has a not so known issue of the valve cover gasket leaking oil into spark plugs. This was found by a mech telling us so I have yet to replace gasket. I take the plug out clean it and it's good to go for a few months longer. Secondly is I have to put oil in it cause the oil pan gasket is bad. BUT knowing those two problems I am ok with it. It is known for bad heads and often blow. I haven't had that issue yet! But the engines are so easy to find it is good to work on.

Favorite Features

I like the size for me and two kids it fits well. The trunk is huge and I put it in a snow bank with no major damage. It was cheap car and has paid for itself.

Suggested Improvements

For the price of the car and its old. Can't say much bad. I guess for a new car it would be considered a cheap car. But it serves it purpose

Great Car For Price
By Larry S.

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

Have the Sport Coupe with manual tranny, bought new in 1998 for $13 grand. As of this post have 71,000 miles on it. Getting 32 mpg overall, 36 on interstate. Great performance and handling. It's a fun car to drive! Needs premium gas to get max performance but I "mix" 89 octane with premium to lower gas cost. In 10 years the only major problem was the water pump died. Cost was $600 to repair which was high but couldn't shop around for lower price at time. For the low price and great performance it can't be beat in its segment of the market. I also have a 2003 Neon (only made as 4 door)with manual, but it only gets 26 mpg avg. and ain't as quick or the looker of the coupe.

Favorite Features

Looks, gas mileage for performance, low sticker price ($5 grand less than Honda Civic with more horses).

Suggested Improvements

Neon no longer sold! Dodge should bring the 98 coupe style back (small performance car with high mpg) with 2008 gas prices what they are... this type car will be built soon, it was 7 years ahead of its time!

Best $5K I ever spent
By ETPHONEHOME

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car used for about $4K. I knew it had an oil leak when purchased. I had to change the head gasket and drive shaft seal, and also decided to change the water pump. Another $1K invested. The head gasket was known design defect that was fixed, and I've had no leaks since. The car now has 160K miles on it and still runs great. No problems. It's fun to drive. It has a good interior and great head room for persons under 6 ft. I'm getting 36 mpg (70- 75 mph) in warmer months with good Mobil gas...generic gas about 3 mpg less. Best $5K I have ever invested. An excellent basic commuter car.

Favorite Features

Nibble handling. Good pickup with 5 speed manual. Easy to change spark plugs, wires and oil filter.

Suggested Improvements

6 speed manual...to get better mpg at high speeds. Improve access to air filter.

Not as bad as its rep
By JustynTime

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

I needed a new car. I wanted a neon. I found a 95 neon with alittle over 100k on the ticker. I never had a problem with it.then my girlfreind wrecked it. I needed a new car, again I wanted a neon. This time I got a 98 with about 50k miles. I have had to replace the head gasket but the key to not having to replace it again is making sure you replace it with the correct gasket. Being that it is 2004 you will be buying one of these babies used and the head gasket has already been replaced. Now my girlfreind needed a new car. Guess what we got, thats right a 95 4door neon. Out of our 3 neons we have only had the one problem.

Favorite Features

Lots of upgrades either from mopar or the aftermarket companies. You can not beat what you get for the price

Suggested Improvements

I cant think of anything. These cars go as low as $300 used, you get more than you pay for. When they were brand new the head gasket wouldve been a valid complaint but like I said chances are your new used neon has been taken care of. www.neons.org can help you alot!

Perfection; Thy Name is Neon!
By BC Reed

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

This car is fantastic! I have an Iceman cold air intake on it and it gets 30/40 mpg easily with a gain in performance. I am over six feet tall, yet it is comfortable to drive on long trips or around town. I have yet to find a car that combines the power (150 plus HP) with the mpg and the room that this little baby offers. I have had zero trouble with it and I will keep it until it dies. I HIGHLY recommend a Neon to anyone who wants a performance car that has all of these pluses and still runs on regular gas.

Favorite Features

The exhaust note, cupholders, trunk space, powerful DOHC motor, frugal at the pump, a total blast to drive, no rattles in the interior, reliability, quiet, but not sedate. A smooth shifting 5-speed tranny.

Suggested Improvements

A little more lateral support in the front seats with lumbar control. Power window switches that don't hit me in the knee, height adjustable seat belts. Rear disc brakes as standard equipment. I know I can get them thru the aftermarket, but that is not the point.