1998 Dodge Neon Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Loved my R/T
By deadmeet on 03/17/08 06:42 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

I bought a pair of R/T's new for me and my wife hers white/blue stripes mine Brilliant blue pearlcoat with silver stripes. hers remained totally stock,mine received a cold air/K&N combo with aftermarket exhaust.we have not had cars as fun to drive or reliable in our lives. Both our cars still get about 38mpg (I bump the rev limiter on a daily basis) with each over 150k miles we are deciding on what we would want to replace them with...seems funny that todays hi-tec hybrids and flex-fuel vehicles only get low 30's mpg What was so special about our neons? (I was raised on Big block Chargers and Road Runners..a lot of fun, but a huge difference on reliability)

Great performance and handling
By Tracy Morgan on 09/11/07 12:36 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

I loved this car. I had it for years. Timing belt broke at about 210,000 miles. Spent about $1300 dollars. Drove it a month and now it is smoking lilke a freight train. I want it fixed. I love the car. I drove a newer neon and the comfort, handling and performance was nowhere near as good as my Neon.

Neon R/T
By Paul on 06/04/05 11:27 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

This is one of the best cars for the money. Even after 7 years, it can't be matched on a performance for the dollar and reliability basis. I drove the heck out of it for 132,000 miles without even so much as a wimper. No only did I teach two teenage daughters on the car, we autocrossed it hard for 5 years! What other car could be had for $13,000, 7.5 sec 0-60; 15.9 1/4 mile and 130mph top end and gets 37+ MPG? To top it off it's big enough to haul anything except a sheet of plywood. All I can say is wow!

Best bang for your buck
By Badco on 07/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

I've had the car for 5 years and 69,000 miles. Love driving this car. Alot of fun to drive everyday. I've had the head gasket replaced under warranty at 45K. EGR valve several times. Sunroof assembly replaced once. Other than that it has been a wonderful car to me. Well worth the money paid. I plan on keeping this car for a long time.

Good inexpensive little car!
By dan_gen on 07/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

We bought this car new five years ago. It has been very reliable over the five years. We have only had to make minor repairs to the car. It still gets great gas mileage. Within the first two years we did have problems with the sunroof, but it was under warranty and our local Dodge dealership took care of the problem in a timely manor. Other than that...no major problems.

Neon R/T, What a Great Car!!!
By NeonRacer on 06/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

The Dodge Neon R/T is one great car. Since the first time I got in the car till the present I have enjoyed this car. As long as you do proper maintainance on time, this car will last you for a long time and fill your life with excitment.

Not so hot Neon
By carrie on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

Head gasket problems seem to be 'normal' for this car; ours had to be replaced around 35,000 miles (and the head remilled to boot). No recall for this problem, but Chrysler did kick some cash back to the dealership for repairs after a considerable amount of complaining. Also, trunk has always leaked -- friends of mine had the same problems with their Neons. After five years of misc. mechanical problems, I'm happy to be getting rid of it!

The best Cheap car Money can buy
By ftsmithpaul on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

The most fun and bang for the buck of any car on the road. What other car does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in 15.9 seconds and slams the top speed limiter at 130 MPH, and only listed for $13,700... and there was a $1,500 cash rebate to Boot. Looks... well okay... but it was TOPS in its Road Race and Autocross class.

An OK car
By Swine on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

Neon R/T's are fun to drive; horrible to maintain. The sunroof broke (in the open position) twice under warranty, and again out of the warranty (I refuse to fix it). Transmission broke 10,000 miles past warranty due to "defective gasket." Head gasket blew at 65,000. Currently, mine overheats, regardless of what the outside temperature, due to what my mechanic describes as "poor engineering." Also, one window rolls down faster than the other. (??)

Surprise, surprise!!
By Blue beast on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

This car was bought as a simple commuting vehicle. I soon discovered how much fun it is to drive. The 5 speed trans and DOHC engine were more than sufficient. However, a polished and ported head, racing cams, headers, bigger throttle body and exhaust make for a truly exciting driving experience. A body kit is being added so looks match performance.