1998 Dodge Neon Coupe 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

1998 Neon Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Loved my R/T
By deadmeet

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

I bought a pair of R/T's new for me and my wife hers white/blue stripes mine Brilliant blue pearlcoat with silver stripes. hers remained totally stock,mine received a cold air/K&N combo with aftermarket exhaust.we have not had cars as fun to drive or reliable in our lives. Both our cars still get about 38mpg (I bump the rev limiter on a daily basis) with each over 150k miles we are deciding on what we would want to replace them with...seems funny that todays hi-tec hybrids and flex-fuel vehicles only get low 30's mpg What was so special about our neons? (I was raised on Big block Chargers and Road Runners..a lot of fun, but a huge difference on reliability)

Favorite Features

I love how easy they are to tune up and maintain.I love how they look and am always amazed with how well they handle.

Suggested Improvements

I know this came later....Turbo would have been nice...got spanked by many a new eclipse turbo in my day and they were bone stock.

Great performance and handling
By Tracy Morgan

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

I loved this car. I had it for years. Timing belt broke at about 210,000 miles. Spent about $1300 dollars. Drove it a month and now it is smoking lilke a freight train. I want it fixed. I love the car. I drove a newer neon and the comfort, handling and performance was nowhere near as good as my Neon.

Favorite Features

This car handled great. It got decent gas mileage. It was fun to drive.

Neon R/T
By Paul

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

This is one of the best cars for the money. Even after 7 years, it can't be matched on a performance for the dollar and reliability basis. I drove the heck out of it for 132,000 miles without even so much as a wimper. No only did I teach two teenage daughters on the car, we autocrossed it hard for 5 years! What other car could be had for $13,000, 7.5 sec 0-60; 15.9 1/4 mile and 130mph top end and gets 37+ MPG? To top it off it's big enough to haul anything except a sheet of plywood. All I can say is wow!

Favorite Features

Favorite feature is the engine by far. Power all the way to the 7250RPM rev limiter

Suggested Improvements

A few extra ponys could never hurt

Best bang for your buck
By Badco

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

I've had the car for 5 years and 69,000 miles. Love driving this car. Alot of fun to drive everyday. I've had the head gasket replaced under warranty at 45K. EGR valve several times. Sunroof assembly replaced once. Other than that it has been a wonderful car to me. Well worth the money paid. I plan on keeping this car for a long time.

Favorite Features

Handle's GREAT!, Performance for a car under $13K is top notch. The 5 speed R/T's are great to drive everyday.

Suggested Improvements

Main complaint(s) Cupholders are horrible, headlight switch is in a bad location/position, frameless windows will eventually be noisy/rattle (and you'll need to tighten them once once a year) Oh and the sunroof is prone to problems.

Good inexpensive little car!
By dan_gen

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

We bought this car new five years ago. It has been very reliable over the five years. We have only had to make minor repairs to the car. It still gets great gas mileage. Within the first two years we did have problems with the sunroof, but it was under warranty and our local Dodge dealership took care of the problem in a timely manor. Other than that...no major problems.

Favorite Features

I love the sporty feel that it has when you drive it. For a compact car it has a lot of guts!

Suggested Improvements

You get a lot of road noise in the Neon and even with brand new struts it is still a bump ride sometimes.

Neon R/T, What a Great Car!!!
By NeonRacer

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

The Dodge Neon R/T is one great car. Since the first time I got in the car till the present I have enjoyed this car. As long as you do proper maintainance on time, this car will last you for a long time and fill your life with excitment.

Favorite Features

It would have to be the performance of the car. 150 horses create excitment and joy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage has to improve as well as the interior which is mainly plastic

Not so hot Neon
By carrie

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

Head gasket problems seem to be 'normal' for this car; ours had to be replaced around 35,000 miles (and the head remilled to boot). No recall for this problem, but Chrysler did kick some cash back to the dealership for repairs after a considerable amount of complaining. Also, trunk has always leaked -- friends of mine had the same problems with their Neons. After five years of misc. mechanical problems, I'm happy to be getting rid of it!

Favorite Features

Handles well. Comfortable to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Head gaskets, trunk gaskets, and oddly enough, the car doesn't seem to defrost well -- like the air blows in the wrong spot to be effective. Wipers ice up in winter, I get sick of beating on them!

The best Cheap car Money can buy
By ftsmithpaul

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

The most fun and bang for the buck of any car on the road. What other car does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in 15.9 seconds and slams the top speed limiter at 130 MPH, and only listed for $13,700... and there was a $1,500 cash rebate to Boot. Looks... well okay... but it was TOPS in its Road Race and Autocross class.

An OK car
By Swine

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

Neon R/T's are fun to drive; horrible to maintain. The sunroof broke (in the open position) twice under warranty, and again out of the warranty (I refuse to fix it). Transmission broke 10,000 miles past warranty due to "defective gasket." Head gasket blew at 65,000. Currently, mine overheats, regardless of what the outside temperature, due to what my mechanic describes as "poor engineering." Also, one window rolls down faster than the other. (??)

Favorite Features

Gas mileage!! Consistently 36+. Also, peppy performance, strong brakes, and more than adequate handeling.

Suggested Improvements

This car needs a better warranty, and a little better build quality. If mechanically inept, avoid this car. Otherwise, it's a decent value.

Surprise, surprise!!
By Blue beast

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

This car was bought as a simple commuting vehicle. I soon discovered how much fun it is to drive. The 5 speed trans and DOHC engine were more than sufficient. However, a polished and ported head, racing cams, headers, bigger throttle body and exhaust make for a truly exciting driving experience. A body kit is being added so looks match performance.

Favorite Features

They are really simple cars to work on once you get a basic understanding.

Suggested Improvements

Manufacture should use multi-layer head gasket from the get-go. Polyurethane bushings in the front end would be appreciated.