Used 1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Couple things people dont know
By jimalee2000

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

I bought my car at an auction last year. I have driven it every day and had no major problems other than: The 4 cyl has a not so known issue of the valve cover gasket leaking oil into spark plugs. This was found by a mech telling us so I have yet to replace gasket. I take the plug out clean it and it's good to go for a few months longer. Secondly is I have to put oil in it cause the oil pan gasket is bad. BUT knowing those two problems I am ok with it. It is known for bad heads and often blow. I haven't had that issue yet! But the engines are so easy to find it is good to work on.

I like the size for me and two kids it fits well. The trunk is huge and I put it in a snow bank with no major damage. It was cheap car and has paid for itself.

For the price of the car and its old. Can't say much bad. I guess for a new car it would be considered a cheap car. But it serves it purpose

Easy to work on, and great gas mileage
By maw96usa

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for its gas mileage abilities and I have not been let down. I've been getting around 32-34mpg in town and 38-41mpg on the hwy. I drove it from Colorado Springs, Colorado to Bakersfield, California for less than $90.00 with gas at $3.50 a gallon. As a home mechanic I also appreciate how easy the car is to work on. At 150k miles I really went through the engine and replaced the timing belt, water pump, oil pan gasket, power steering pump, valve cover gasket set, thermostat, and it was all really easy to get to with out much trouble at all. I tell friends and family that if I get another car it'll be another Neon!!!

The over all looks of the 2 door is really sporty. The heater heats up quickly in these Colorado winters and the A/C is great for our hot summers. Gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage!!! I easly get around 40mpg driving on the interstate!!!

Keep them easy to work on. Nothing worse than a car that has to be taken in to have something simple replaced by the dealerships.

Loved my R/T
By deadmeet

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

I bought a pair of R/T's new for me and my wife hers white/blue stripes mine Brilliant blue pearlcoat with silver stripes. hers remained totally stock,mine received a cold air/K&N combo with aftermarket exhaust.we have not had cars as fun to drive or reliable in our lives. Both our cars still get about 38mpg (I bump the rev limiter on a daily basis) with each over 150k miles we are deciding on what we would want to replace them with...seems funny that todays hi-tec hybrids and flex-fuel vehicles only get low 30's mpg What was so special about our neons? (I was raised on Big block Chargers and Road Runners..a lot of fun, but a huge difference on reliability)

I love how easy they are to tune up and maintain.I love how they look and am always amazed with how well they handle.

I know this came later....Turbo would have been nice...got spanked by many a new eclipse turbo in my day and they were bone stock.

Great Car For Price
By Larry S.

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

Have the Sport Coupe with manual tranny, bought new in 1998 for $13 grand. As of this post have 71,000 miles on it. Getting 32 mpg overall, 36 on interstate. Great performance and handling. It's a fun car to drive! Needs premium gas to get max performance but I "mix" 89 octane with premium to lower gas cost. In 10 years the only major problem was the water pump died. Cost was $600 to repair which was high but couldn't shop around for lower price at time. For the low price and great performance it can't be beat in its segment of the market. I also have a 2003 Neon (only made as 4 door)with manual, but it only gets 26 mpg avg. and ain't as quick or the looker of the coupe.

Looks, gas mileage for performance, low sticker price ($5 grand less than Honda Civic with more horses).

Neon no longer sold! Dodge should bring the 98 coupe style back (small performance car with high mpg) with 2008 gas prices what they are... this type car will be built soon, it was 7 years ahead of its time!

Great performance and handling
By Tracy Morgan

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

I loved this car. I had it for years. Timing belt broke at about 210,000 miles. Spent about $1300 dollars. Drove it a month and now it is smoking lilke a freight train. I want it fixed. I love the car. I drove a newer neon and the comfort, handling and performance was nowhere near as good as my Neon.

This car handled great. It got decent gas mileage. It was fun to drive.