Used 1998 Dodge Neon Highline Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Its had its problems...
By neon1998c

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

My 1998 Dodge Neon has had belt issues where the water pump locked up and the timing belt jumped. Then a month later the serpentine belt shredded completely and had to be replaced as well. The car rattles a lot when I drive it, and shakes bad when it idles. My Neon doesn't have much power to it either. Its got bad acceleration, (it doesn't pick up speed quickly). Also my dome light and my shifter light don't work, (I changed the dome light and yes have checked the fuses and light switch, I don't know how to change the shifter light.) Over all, I wish I had a different car, or a better Neon :(

Favorite Features

Great on gas!

278,000 miles and still going strong
By huskers57

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I bought my Neon new in 1998 and have had only one major issue and that was with the defective head gasket. Other than general maintenance, it has been a great car. I just put a set of 75000 mile tires on it and I talked to my mechanic and he said it should hit 400,000 with no trouble. Have always used Catrol Syntec and I get about 30-35 in town and around 40 on the highway. I have had a few trips (recently) where I hit 45-48 mpg. Other minor issues include the leak around the driver's side tail light and my sunroof motor went out. Could not have spent $17,600 any better way.

Favorite Features

Handling Gas mileage Fun Solid

Suggested Improvements

Cheaper sunroof motor replacement parts

Best first car!
By Kyle

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I've had my neon for about a year now. I had it given to me from my parents at 98,000 miles and it now has 101,000 so you can guess that I am happy with it. I love the gas mileage and the dependability, I am not to fond of the power though. Getting on the freeway is not very fun. Overall I am just happy that I got a car that doesn't need to be in the shop every few months.

Favorite Features

the originality and simplicity of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

what can you expect from a base model compact.

OK car, but not built to last
By april

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

It is an OK car but mine leakes water from the roof around the front windshield and under the glove box. One of my doors doesn't close all the way so the door ajar light is always on. I have had a crack in my oil tank and had to have my transmission replaced. My air also doesn't work. It was good when I first got it but now it is falling apart.

Favorite Features

It is good on gas and a nice compact car.

I Heart It
By LuvMyNeon

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I have had my Neon since May of 2006. Purchased it with about 89,000 miles on it. Was previously owned by an elderly couple who traded it in for a newer car. I have only had one repair that is not considered a normal repair, (misfire in a cylinder) cost was about $130. I love the car, it is my first car and it is super fun to drive. Other repairs were I had 3 belts replaced (timing, power steering, alternator belts). Other than that, it is a great car. I feel comfortable driving it and I'm 6ft tall. Just wish it had power windows and locks. My only complaint is the fact that you almost feel the road when driving, and the rotors need to be replaced. I love my Neon!

Favorite Features

CD player. Cute/sport look. Handling, acceleration and cup holders! - and so much more!

Suggested Improvements

Power windows and power locks. It could use a little more horsepower, but I do not have a Neon sport and I'm sure the Neon sport has better pick up than the Highline models.