Used 1998 Dodge Neon Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Sporty looking, decent on gas, and reliable.
By zanderlion

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

I own a black 1998 Dodge Neon Sport Sedan with an automatic transmission. I'm not sure how many owners its had. I bought the car in October of 2011 from a mechanic for $1600. The car has 135,280 miles. I noticed oil was leaking out the gasket seal. So I had my cousin replace the seal. And the leak stopped. My cousin also put new spark plugs in, and he noticed a couple of spark plugs were drowned in oil. I give the car it's routine oil changes every 3 to 5000 miles. I never had any trouble starting it, even in the coldest winter last year, it started fine. The car handles the snow ok. I had to replace a fuel pipe, because it rusted through. In conclusion, I think it's a reliable fun car.

Favorite Features

My favorite features on the car would have to be the exterior design for starters. To me, it almost looks like a Porsche. The car is a little sluggish at normal acceleration. But, when you put the pedal to the medal, then it really moves! I like how it sounds to when all the horses in all 4 cylinders are being fired. I think the car looks best in black. I was lucky to find one in black.

Suggested Improvements

I think the creators of that car could have did a better job with safety of the car. The quality of plastics for the dash could have been better.

Best car I've owned
By Allen

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

Bought the 5speed manual version new in fall of 1997, for my 50 mile commute. Has never quit on me. No repairs, just normal maintenance. The dealer called me in to replace the head gasket early on. Now has 233,000 miles and it just keeps going. I check my gas mileage every fillup, and it's averaged 35mpg. This car has got to rank up there as one of the best automotive values in history.

Favorite Features

Power, fuel economy, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest they resurrect the Neon. Can't understand why they dropped it. Now Chrysler offers zero models getting over 30mpg - not too smart with oil at $88 a barrel.

Reliable, Fun car
By moneyshot

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

This car has been an amazing vehicle. I have had it since new. It had a head gasket leak at 45000 miles, but the dealer took care of it for free. The sunroof broke on it 6 times. Those are the only problems I had with it. I had it in Germany with me, and spent lots of time in the governor (118 mph). I now have 120000 on it, and haven't even had to replace the altenator, or anything else not mandated by the owners manual.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Gas Mileage. Power for its size. All around great car. Great price.

Suggested Improvements

Well, I hear they won't be making them anymore in 2007. Can't improve on something not scheduled to be built anymore. I really wanted to buy another one new, but I guess like GM and the Camaro, the thing to do now for the big 3 is to sell out.

Good Bang for the Buck
By King Piper

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

Purchased new with 1500 rebate. Fun car to drive; great gas mileage and very quick and fun to drive. Replace trunk gasket because it always had a wet trunk. Replaced heat gasket at 65k with Dodge deductible of 150, replaced timing belt at same time for another 350 while it was taken apart. Changed oil every 3k mile and looks great on the inside. Front disk pads replaced at 90k, wow thats some good pads. Replaced headlights because of foggy condition of the lens after 80k miles got them on ebay for 165 and really easy to install. Keep up with the maintence and this car will keep up with the best of them, 125k and still going. I would recommend a Neon to anyone that ask.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Good gas mileage. American Built.

Suggested Improvements

Head gasket already done by Dodge, way to go Dodge. Keep up the good work AMERICAN automakers.

98 Expresso, DOHC
By DOak

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

My Neon leaked oil like a sieve from after merely 5000 miles. Head gasket replaced under warranty at 49000 miles, and is ready for another head gasket again, with no warranty this time! I know of 20 year old cars with original headgaskets in their engines. This was to be my daughter's car, but I don't trust it. As far as I'm concerned, the car is really a pile of junk and has turned me off to any potential new vehicle purchase. I can do better buying a used vehicle someplace.

Suggested Improvements

Recall the Neons with the DOHC engines, make good on customers like me, or lose me as a customer, forever.