1998 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Couple things people dont know
By jimalee2000 on 04/24/10 09:50 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

I bought my car at an auction last year. I have driven it every day and had no major problems other than: The 4 cyl has a not so known issue of the valve cover gasket leaking oil into spark plugs. This was found by a mech telling us so I have yet to replace gasket. I take the plug out clean it and it's good to go for a few months longer. Secondly is I have to put oil in it cause the oil pan gasket is bad. BUT knowing those two problems I am ok with it. It is known for bad heads and often blow. I haven't had that issue yet! But the engines are so easy to find it is good to work on.

Great Car For Price
By Larry S. on 01/26/08 06:13 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

Have the Sport Coupe with manual tranny, bought new in 1998 for $13 grand. As of this post have 71,000 miles on it. Getting 32 mpg overall, 36 on interstate. Great performance and handling. It's a fun car to drive! Needs premium gas to get max performance but I "mix" 89 octane with premium to lower gas cost. In 10 years the only major problem was the water pump died. Cost was $600 to repair which was high but couldn't shop around for lower price at time. For the low price and great performance it can't be beat in its segment of the market. I also have a 2003 Neon (only made as 4 door)with manual, but it only gets 26 mpg avg. and ain't as quick or the looker of the coupe.

Best $5K I ever spent
By ETPHONEHOME on 05/17/05 11:37 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car used for about $4K. I knew it had an oil leak when purchased. I had to change the head gasket and drive shaft seal, and also decided to change the water pump. Another $1K invested. The head gasket was known design defect that was fixed, and I've had no leaks since. The car now has 160K miles on it and still runs great. No problems. It's fun to drive. It has a good interior and great head room for persons under 6 ft. I'm getting 36 mpg (70- 75 mph) in warmer months with good Mobil gas...generic gas about 3 mpg less. Best $5K I have ever invested. An excellent basic commuter car.

Not as bad as its rep
By JustynTime on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

I needed a new car. I wanted a neon. I found a 95 neon with alittle over 100k on the ticker. I never had a problem with it.then my girlfreind wrecked it. I needed a new car, again I wanted a neon. This time I got a 98 with about 50k miles. I have had to replace the head gasket but the key to not having to replace it again is making sure you replace it with the correct gasket. Being that it is 2004 you will be buying one of these babies used and the head gasket has already been replaced. Now my girlfreind needed a new car. Guess what we got, thats right a 95 4door neon. Out of our 3 neons we have only had the one problem.

Perfection; Thy Name is Neon!
By BC Reed on 05/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

This car is fantastic! I have an Iceman cold air intake on it and it gets 30/40 mpg easily with a gain in performance. I am over six feet tall, yet it is comfortable to drive on long trips or around town. I have yet to find a car that combines the power (150 plus HP) with the mpg and the room that this little baby offers. I have had zero trouble with it and I will keep it until it dies. I HIGHLY recommend a Neon to anyone who wants a performance car that has all of these pluses and still runs on regular gas.

Neon's Rock
By Qbert on 10/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

Dependability and good mileage. This car is rock solid. It has some road noise but what small car doesn't. 4.5 years now with nothing but gas and oil changes. Except for a bit of wind noise on the drivers side, frameless window, this car is the ultimate for price vs. performance. Unless you need a truck or have a three kids, I highly recommend this vehicle. Biggest complaints: All I see on the road is bumpers and headlights (hard to get away from that in a small car). Summary: Not a luxery vehicle but great return on investment:)

flee from Daimler/Chrysler
By beeblequix on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

"If you take care of it, it will last you forever." That's what the salesman said. Replaced sunroof 4 times, radio 3 times, head gasket went out @23K mi (they made me pay the coolant change when they changed HG), 8 visits to dealer to fix BAD GROUND under dash, each pwr window motor replaced, each pwr lock switch replaced more than twice.