1998 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Perfect first time, long time car!
By ch_burne2 on 09/16/11 20:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan

Ive had this car since about 07, when I acquired it from my mom who was the 2nd owner (originally bought from a dealership). Ive been driving it since I was 16 so its been through a lot. Aside from regular maintenance this car has been very low maintenance. Ive had the oil changed about every 5k miles and a few tune-ups but this car has not asked for much more. In terms of repairs this is what Ive had to have done: -brakes a couple times in 7 years -fuel pump twice (wear in the fuel line which was unnoticed) -various parts of the cooling system Still has the original clutch after 13 years! This car lasts forever if you care enough.

Fun but big-time TROUBLE
By Paul on 07/23/08 22:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan

When I found my Neon R/T, white with blue stripes, I thought I had gone to heaven. And there is no question that it is a fun car to drive when it runs but I have had nothing but trouble since I bought it. I have had the engine rebuilt twice and numerous things replaced, much more than I would expect even for a car that has over 150,000 miles on the odometer (I bought it at 94,000 miles). The trunk and right rear seat area leaks buckets of water in every rain or snow storm. If it wasn't for the consistent 30 mpg I would dump the car ASAP.

I Keep Giving it One More Chance
By neondeb on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan

This car is fun to drive, very sporty, great gas mileage (29-30). However, we had 22 service visits in first 3 years, 20 of which were for Service Engine Light! They never really knew why, but kept replacing things. After 50K miles, it mostly stopped. AC died at 50,300; after all our trouble, they did a courtesy adjustment. Sun roof has issues. One bad thing...slow- speed (20 MPH) front end collision (fender bender) completely crushed hood/fender/radiator/AC condenser! Too much damage to bother fixing, so sad to see it go.

very safe car!
By BLUEGREENNEONLUVR on 04/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan

I think this is a GREAT car, I was in a accident where i was hit in the rear really hard, and the persons car went up under my car and just scratched my rear I feel so safe in this car,I lost my other car in an accident, this was my second car, i really like it allot. Nice design, my husband has a sound system in it and it sounds great! It good on gas,handles well. I recommend it.

fun for cheap
By 98neonrt on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan

my experience has been good with the 98 neon r/t. just look at it for what it's worth—a cheap car. build quality and dash components need some work. performance and fun are high points. car corners like a dream—only 2500 lbs— dodge has done a great job with suspension. the dohc requires premium gas, but you get better gas mileage (29/38 mpg) and more power from the engine (150hp.) the seats may feel tight for normal people, but just right for small/skinny people. abs, sun roof, dohc, etc. are some good options. the rear windows didn't come as automatic, though. 5th gear whines and can get a little loud. it's a darn good car for the price.

Al Court's Evaluation
By Alan G. Court on 02/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan

The Neon has plenty of pep. I find no fault with the appearance. My major concern is the space between the steering wheel and the driver's knees when there is no tilt wheel. I have Parkinson's and it takes 5 minutes for me to extract myself from the car.

Years have passed
By Capt M on 11/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan

I have driven this car for 5 years and it has been wonderful. It performs better than cars costing twice as much. The only minor complaints are: head gasket went out (replaced by dealer) and that it is a bit buzzy on high speed interstate driving. Otherwise, I would recommend this car to anyone!