Used 1998 Dodge Neon R/T Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Perfect first time, long time car!
By ch_burne2

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan

Ive had this car since about 07, when I acquired it from my mom who was the 2nd owner (originally bought from a dealership). Ive been driving it since I was 16 so its been through a lot. Aside from regular maintenance this car has been very low maintenance. Ive had the oil changed about every 5k miles and a few tune-ups but this car has not asked for much more. In terms of repairs this is what Ive had to have done: -brakes a couple times in 7 years -fuel pump twice (wear in the fuel line which was unnoticed) -various parts of the cooling system Still has the original clutch after 13 years! This car lasts forever if you care enough.

Favorite Features

200k miles plus! The interior is phenomenal (besides the headliner which I think the dealership replaced incorrectly and is loose now) and still looks brand new even 13 years old. The clutch is stiff and so is the gas which makes driving the car feel like driving a real stick and not one of those new crap manuals that are impossible to stall out. Only parts of the grill and spoiler have shown wear in the paint and the rest shines like new when waxed. Downshifting is a BLESSING in this car in the ice and snow. The car itself is too light to use the brakes and I don't think it has ABS so downshifting is key! Also, EXCELLENT gas mileage! Even in its old age this car gets 28-33mpg average.

Suggested Improvements

Overheats occasionally in heat and humidity even since I had most of my cooling system rebuilt. Not sure what's going on but selling the car soon so haven't taken it to a legitimate mechanic to find out. The display went from bad a couple years ago to worse and now the speedo and odometer work half the time. Also manual locks and windows are standard with this car which drives me crazy. Oh and the CD changer is located in the trunk which is impossibly inconvenient to change with a memory like mine so you always end up listening to the radio (equally as bad as repetitive CDs). Keep in mind technical issues occurred after 100k.. Like I said, work horse if you don't treat the car like garbage.

Fun but big-time TROUBLE
By Paul

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan

When I found my Neon R/T, white with blue stripes, I thought I had gone to heaven. And there is no question that it is a fun car to drive when it runs but I have had nothing but trouble since I bought it. I have had the engine rebuilt twice and numerous things replaced, much more than I would expect even for a car that has over 150,000 miles on the odometer (I bought it at 94,000 miles). The trunk and right rear seat area leaks buckets of water in every rain or snow storm. If it wasn't for the consistent 30 mpg I would dump the car ASAP.

Favorite Features

It is fun to drive and gets great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Apparently blowing head gaskets was a significant problem for the early Neons.

I Keep Giving it One More Chance
By neondeb

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan

This car is fun to drive, very sporty, great gas mileage (29-30). However, we had 22 service visits in first 3 years, 20 of which were for Service Engine Light! They never really knew why, but kept replacing things. After 50K miles, it mostly stopped. AC died at 50,300; after all our trouble, they did a courtesy adjustment. Sun roof has issues. One bad thing...slow- speed (20 MPH) front end collision (fender bender) completely crushed hood/fender/radiator/AC condenser! Too much damage to bother fixing, so sad to see it go.

Favorite Features

Sportiness, gas mileage, sun roof (when it worked), easy to drive

Suggested Improvements

Gotta fix the reliability to avoid service calls; more reliable sun roof; more stable and/or less expensive-to- repair body; BETTER/MORE CUP HOLDERS

very safe car!
By BLUEGREENNEONLUVR

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan

I think this is a GREAT car, I was in a accident where i was hit in the rear really hard, and the persons car went up under my car and just scratched my rear I feel so safe in this car,I lost my other car in an accident, this was my second car, i really like it allot. Nice design, my husband has a sound system in it and it sounds great! It good on gas,handles well. I recommend it.

Favorite Features

I like the inside design,its pretty roomy, and lots of trunk room.Good gas mileage. I believe if you take care of your cars, you won't have much trouble.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the steering wheel lifted up. I have a little bit of a problem getting in and out of the car, but no biggy.

fun for cheap
By 98neonrt

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan

my experience has been good with the 98 neon r/t. just look at it for what it's worth—a cheap car. build quality and dash components need some work. performance and fun are high points. car corners like a dream—only 2500 lbs— dodge has done a great job with suspension. the dohc requires premium gas, but you get better gas mileage (29/38 mpg) and more power from the engine (150hp.) the seats may feel tight for normal people, but just right for small/skinny people. abs, sun roof, dohc, etc. are some good options. the rear windows didn't come as automatic, though. 5th gear whines and can get a little loud. it's a darn good car for the price.

Favorite Features

great cornering, suspension, sunroof, good gas mileage, great price

Suggested Improvements

engine noise needs to be muffled, overall dash usability should be clearer, build quality is still not where it should be