Used 1998 Dodge Neon R/T Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Loved my R/T
By deadmeet

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 2dr Coupe

I bought a pair of R/T's new for me and my wife hers white/blue stripes mine Brilliant blue pearlcoat with silver stripes. hers remained totally stock,mine received a cold air/K&N combo with aftermarket exhaust.we have not had cars as fun to drive or reliable in our lives. Both our cars still get about 38mpg (I bump the rev limiter on a daily basis) with each over 150k miles we are deciding on what we would want to replace them with...seems funny that todays hi-tec hybrids and flex-fuel vehicles only get low 30's mpg What was so special about our neons? (I was raised on Big block Chargers and Road Runners..a lot of fun, but a huge difference on reliability)

Favorite Features

I love how easy they are to tune up and maintain.I love how they look and am always amazed with how well they handle.

Suggested Improvements

I know this came later....Turbo would have been nice...got spanked by many a new eclipse turbo in my day and they were bone stock.

Great performance and handling
By Tracy Morgan

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 2dr Coupe

I loved this car. I had it for years. Timing belt broke at about 210,000 miles. Spent about $1300 dollars. Drove it a month and now it is smoking lilke a freight train. I want it fixed. I love the car. I drove a newer neon and the comfort, handling and performance was nowhere near as good as my Neon.

Favorite Features

This car handled great. It got decent gas mileage. It was fun to drive.

Neon R/T
By Paul

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 2dr Coupe

This is one of the best cars for the money. Even after 7 years, it can't be matched on a performance for the dollar and reliability basis. I drove the heck out of it for 132,000 miles without even so much as a wimper. No only did I teach two teenage daughters on the car, we autocrossed it hard for 5 years! What other car could be had for $13,000, 7.5 sec 0-60; 15.9 1/4 mile and 130mph top end and gets 37+ MPG? To top it off it's big enough to haul anything except a sheet of plywood. All I can say is wow!

Favorite Features

Favorite feature is the engine by far. Power all the way to the 7250RPM rev limiter

Suggested Improvements

A few extra ponys could never hurt

Best bang for your buck
By Badco

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 2dr Coupe

I've had the car for 5 years and 69,000 miles. Love driving this car. Alot of fun to drive everyday. I've had the head gasket replaced under warranty at 45K. EGR valve several times. Sunroof assembly replaced once. Other than that it has been a wonderful car to me. Well worth the money paid. I plan on keeping this car for a long time.

Favorite Features

Handle's GREAT!, Performance for a car under $13K is top notch. The 5 speed R/T's are great to drive everyday.

Suggested Improvements

Main complaint(s) Cupholders are horrible, headlight switch is in a bad location/position, frameless windows will eventually be noisy/rattle (and you'll need to tighten them once once a year) Oh and the sunroof is prone to problems.

Good inexpensive little car!
By dan_gen

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 2dr Coupe

We bought this car new five years ago. It has been very reliable over the five years. We have only had to make minor repairs to the car. It still gets great gas mileage. Within the first two years we did have problems with the sunroof, but it was under warranty and our local Dodge dealership took care of the problem in a timely manor. Other than that...no major problems.

Favorite Features

I love the sporty feel that it has when you drive it. For a compact car it has a lot of guts!

Suggested Improvements

You get a lot of road noise in the Neon and even with brand new struts it is still a bump ride sometimes.