1998 Dodge Neon Highline Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

1998 Neon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Sort Reviews by

Easy to work on, and great gas mileage
By maw96usa

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for its gas mileage abilities and I have not been let down. I've been getting around 32-34mpg in town and 38-41mpg on the hwy. I drove it from Colorado Springs, Colorado to Bakersfield, California for less than $90.00 with gas at $3.50 a gallon. As a home mechanic I also appreciate how easy the car is to work on. At 150k miles I really went through the engine and replaced the timing belt, water pump, oil pan gasket, power steering pump, valve cover gasket set, thermostat, and it was all really easy to get to with out much trouble at all. I tell friends and family that if I get another car it'll be another Neon!!!

Favorite Features

The over all looks of the 2 door is really sporty. The heater heats up quickly in these Colorado winters and the A/C is great for our hot summers. Gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage!!! I easly get around 40mpg driving on the interstate!!!

Suggested Improvements

Keep them easy to work on. Nothing worse than a car that has to be taken in to have something simple replaced by the dealerships.

Fun to drive
By Doug

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I bought the car to comute to work ($4200/63K miles). I've done zero maintance in the two years I've driven it (no oil changes). It has never broke down. I wash it twice a year whether it needs it or not. It's been the cheepest car I've owned.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, corners well, stops well. All around a fun car to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Make the DOHC engine standard on all Neons.

DONT BUY NEONS
By HateNeon

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

This car was good for the first year I had it. In the past 2 years it has been nothing but a headache. I wouldn't recommend this car to any one. Has a low resale value. In the past 2 years I have put at least $3000 of work into it. The a/c no longer works and now needs to be replaced.

Favorite Features

Nothing

Suggested Improvements

Where do I start... Breaks down too much. Very expensive to repair. Not reliable at all.

Good car
By boodog

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

All in all a good little car. Fun to drive and king in corners.

Favorite Features

Cornering, decent gas mileage, no major problems.

Suggested Improvements

Not much really to improve on, decent on gas. Good build quality for what it is. Fun on long drives.