1998 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Sporty looking, decent on gas, and reliable.
By zanderlion on 10/03/12 04:29 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

I own a black 1998 Dodge Neon Sport Sedan with an automatic transmission. I'm not sure how many owners its had. I bought the car in October of 2011 from a mechanic for $1600. The car has 135,280 miles. I noticed oil was leaking out the gasket seal. So I had my cousin replace the seal. And the leak stopped. My cousin also put new spark plugs in, and he noticed a couple of spark plugs were drowned in oil. I give the car it's routine oil changes every 3 to 5000 miles. I never had any trouble starting it, even in the coldest winter last year, it started fine. The car handles the snow ok. I had to replace a fuel pipe, because it rusted through. In conclusion, I think it's a reliable fun car.

Perfect first time, long time car!
By ch_burne2 on 09/16/11 20:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan

Ive had this car since about 07, when I acquired it from my mom who was the 2nd owner (originally bought from a dealership). Ive been driving it since I was 16 so its been through a lot. Aside from regular maintenance this car has been very low maintenance. Ive had the oil changed about every 5k miles and a few tune-ups but this car has not asked for much more. In terms of repairs this is what Ive had to have done: -brakes a couple times in 7 years -fuel pump twice (wear in the fuel line which was unnoticed) -various parts of the cooling system Still has the original clutch after 13 years! This car lasts forever if you care enough.

Its had its problems...
By neon1998c on 05/31/11 16:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

My 1998 Dodge Neon has had belt issues where the water pump locked up and the timing belt jumped. Then a month later the serpentine belt shredded completely and had to be replaced as well. The car rattles a lot when I drive it, and shakes bad when it idles. My Neon doesn't have much power to it either. Its got bad acceleration, (it doesn't pick up speed quickly). Also my dome light and my shifter light don't work, (I changed the dome light and yes have checked the fuses and light switch, I don't know how to change the shifter light.) Over all, I wish I had a different car, or a better Neon :(

278,000 miles and still going strong
By huskers57 on 01/31/11 10:30 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I bought my Neon new in 1998 and have had only one major issue and that was with the defective head gasket. Other than general maintenance, it has been a great car. I just put a set of 75000 mile tires on it and I talked to my mechanic and he said it should hit 400,000 with no trouble. Have always used Catrol Syntec and I get about 30-35 in town and around 40 on the highway. I have had a few trips (recently) where I hit 45-48 mpg. Other minor issues include the leak around the driver's side tail light and my sunroof motor went out. Could not have spent $17,600 any better way.

Couple things people dont know
By jimalee2000 on 04/24/10 09:50 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

I bought my car at an auction last year. I have driven it every day and had no major problems other than: The 4 cyl has a not so known issue of the valve cover gasket leaking oil into spark plugs. This was found by a mech telling us so I have yet to replace gasket. I take the plug out clean it and it's good to go for a few months longer. Secondly is I have to put oil in it cause the oil pan gasket is bad. BUT knowing those two problems I am ok with it. It is known for bad heads and often blow. I haven't had that issue yet! But the engines are so easy to find it is good to work on.

Best first car!
By Kyle on 04/19/10 21:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I've had my neon for about a year now. I had it given to me from my parents at 98,000 miles and it now has 101,000 so you can guess that I am happy with it. I love the gas mileage and the dependability, I am not to fond of the power though. Getting on the freeway is not very fun. Overall I am just happy that I got a car that doesn't need to be in the shop every few months.

Fun but big-time TROUBLE
By Paul on 07/23/08 22:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan

When I found my Neon R/T, white with blue stripes, I thought I had gone to heaven. And there is no question that it is a fun car to drive when it runs but I have had nothing but trouble since I bought it. I have had the engine rebuilt twice and numerous things replaced, much more than I would expect even for a car that has over 150,000 miles on the odometer (I bought it at 94,000 miles). The trunk and right rear seat area leaks buckets of water in every rain or snow storm. If it wasn't for the consistent 30 mpg I would dump the car ASAP.

Easy to work on, and great gas mileage
By maw96usa on 06/04/08 01:51 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for its gas mileage abilities and I have not been let down. I've been getting around 32-34mpg in town and 38-41mpg on the hwy. I drove it from Colorado Springs, Colorado to Bakersfield, California for less than $90.00 with gas at $3.50 a gallon. As a home mechanic I also appreciate how easy the car is to work on. At 150k miles I really went through the engine and replaced the timing belt, water pump, oil pan gasket, power steering pump, valve cover gasket set, thermostat, and it was all really easy to get to with out much trouble at all. I tell friends and family that if I get another car it'll be another Neon!!!

Loved my R/T
By deadmeet on 03/17/08 06:42 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 2dr Coupe

I bought a pair of R/T's new for me and my wife hers white/blue stripes mine Brilliant blue pearlcoat with silver stripes. hers remained totally stock,mine received a cold air/K&N combo with aftermarket exhaust.we have not had cars as fun to drive or reliable in our lives. Both our cars still get about 38mpg (I bump the rev limiter on a daily basis) with each over 150k miles we are deciding on what we would want to replace them with...seems funny that todays hi-tec hybrids and flex-fuel vehicles only get low 30's mpg What was so special about our neons? (I was raised on Big block Chargers and Road Runners..a lot of fun, but a huge difference on reliability)

Great Car For Price
By Larry S. on 01/26/08 06:13 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

Have the Sport Coupe with manual tranny, bought new in 1998 for $13 grand. As of this post have 71,000 miles on it. Getting 32 mpg overall, 36 on interstate. Great performance and handling. It's a fun car to drive! Needs premium gas to get max performance but I "mix" 89 octane with premium to lower gas cost. In 10 years the only major problem was the water pump died. Cost was $600 to repair which was high but couldn't shop around for lower price at time. For the low price and great performance it can't be beat in its segment of the market. I also have a 2003 Neon (only made as 4 door)with manual, but it only gets 26 mpg avg. and ain't as quick or the looker of the coupe.