1997 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
97 plymouth neon
By neonHappy on 10/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a year old, with 20,000 miles. I never had any problems with reliability - the car always ran great and started without a problem. I drove the car for 4 years until someone hit me and the car was totaled. My only problem was that sometimes the back passenger side door would ajar lose after a bumpy road and the interior light would go on, as well as the "door open" light. On particularly bumpy, dirt roads this would be frustrating!

Neon Sport 4Dr
By neondriver76575 on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

I have driven this car for about 2 years (it now has 55000 miles), and have had no major problems. The brakes are noisy, and the parking brake always need re-adjusting, but it's been great. I wish I had the ABS, but oh well. It does slide a bit on wet roads. It is a reliable, and fun to drive car, as long as you aren't friends with too many "car" people.

not pleased
By not pleased on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

Got it at 42k. I have put another 45k on it, but have also put tons of repair money too. This year alone I have put a new headgasket, brakes(again), suspension, ignition wires, battery (again), and it still needs work on the AC. The sticker price might not me too high, but you'll make it up in repairs. Although I hear later models have improved.

I expected something better
By It@doesntmatter.com on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I'm very disappointed. Less that 40K miles and have had too many things go wrong. Currently have it in the shop, all dials (water, speedometer, tach, odometer, etc) stopped moving. I'm told it's due to a bad circuit board, $440 to fix. Also have gone through two sets of tires and approaching the third already.

Unreliable & Disappointed
By Princess_Di28 on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I have had my neon for 2.5 years- I have had several repairs. Many issues with electrical problems- pluggs, wiring,etc. The brakes are noisy- I keep getting told that it is just how neons are!? The framless doors make the car seem very flimsy and creates a horrible noise when you close the door if the window is open. Furthermore, the front speakers to the radio do not work half the time, and the back ones died! These cars seem nice and economical- until you find yourself taking them into the garage to get fixed every month!!!!! I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS CAR!

Neon
By byron_caroline on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

My Neon has held up relatively well over the years. Most of the k's are highway driving. I have, however, been extremely disappointed by Chrysler and their lack of help. I have had to have the seals on the rear lights replaced because water was leaking into the trunk. I have also had constant issues with the head gasket. In both cases, Chrysler has refused to help at all. I will not buy another Chrysler product.

My Favorite Car Ever!
By Joelabc on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

I recently bought a 97 Dodge Neon Sport, 2 door car from Winnipeg, Canada. The car has 70000kms (43000 miles). The funny thing is that this car has the DOHC 150 hp engine. According to this site the 97 neon sports do not have this engine, they have the SOHC 132hp engine. It could because this is a Canadian car and varies slightly from the American car. But anyway i bought the car for only $7000 CAN, or $4500 USD. This car runs like a dream, its fast, looks sweet, is remarkable on gas, and is cheap to fill up as well. This car also has plenty of aftermarket modifications you can do to it which i plan to do in the future. Buy a neon!

VERY HAPPY
By cwalsh32084 on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I haven't had any problems with mine. I would recommend for any college student like me to get one because they are cheap and really good cars.

Good little car.
By jarriop on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I purchased the Neon for my girl friend. But found that this little car quite fun to drive. Aside from the little noises, the drivers door opening sensor not working (Even after having dodge fix it.) This little car is a brisk accelerater. Ihave currently begun modifying the car, starting with a cold air intake, and next is my exsaust.(Manifold is shot, as is my muffler.) I purchased the car with 62000 miles on it.

Disappointing
By Euly on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

Everyone had told me Neons were crap but that 97 was the year they started getting better. I realized that this wasn't true. I love my neon because it is fun to drive but I have had numerous problems with it. The EGR valve was a big issue because the car would completely shut off while I was slowing down. I also don't like driving on a windy day because it feels so flimsy. It is a very unsafe car. Buying from a very dishonest car dealership did not help the situation either.