1997 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Totally reliable, economical little car!
By *~Kelli~* on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

I bought my Neon new in April of 1997 and I have been more than pleased with it ever since! When it was new there was an issue with the transmission that was promptly replaced without any problems and ever since then, it has only been to the shop for scheduled maintenance (knock on wood). It gets SUPER gas mileage! Even today, it is still getting 39mpg hwy and 35mpg city consistently. For a 4cyl car it has alot of power and speed. We now have a Chrysler LHS to use for a luxurious family car, but my husband still drives the Neon daily with no trouble for his 150 mile round trip commute.

Junk Car
By extremely unhappy on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

This car has many problems. Head Gasket went, squeaky brakes, windows don't seal....seems to be a recurring problem. Like others, the "customer service" department didn't live up to thier name! I would NOT recommend buying a Neon!

My 97 Base SOHC
By 1hotjava on 04/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

This car has performed flawlessly since new. It consistently gets 38-42 mpg on the highway, with 26-32 in the city. No mechanical problems since new (now 65,000 miles). Only problem was paint flaking off, but Chrysler re-painted the car. My next daily driver will probably also be a Neon...

My commuter car
By mswing11 on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

It's just plain fun to drive, even to work. For a small car, it fits a tall guy quite well. It has been very dependable. For a used car to need no repairs except a battery and front brake pads is awesome. An easy car to service.

buy gm:
By Bushleague on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

An absolute lemon, lousy ride uncomfortable seats. How many head gaskets can you replace? Nearly get killed trying to accelerate on the highway.

too many repairs
By Very displeased on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I do not suggest buying this car unless you are a mechanic, or someone else who gets cheap parts and labour, because otherwise you will probably spend more money repairing it than you did buying it! short list of problems I have had -leaky trunk -framless windows that dont seal and leak into car -faulty head gasket -smelly AC -squeaky brakes that never shut up -radiator fan relay died -steering seizes up when you drive through puddles -bad wiring

Not Satisfied!
By stephaniequeen2 on 01/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I just read all of the complaints on here and I wish I would've read up on a neon BEFORE I bought it! I have had many problems and the car is in the shop right now. I do not say anyone should buy this car unless they like fixing it all of the time! Problems include: headgasket (reimbursed under a "secret warranty"), oil leaks and burns, alternator, battery (twice!), tires, brake pads, air conditioning switch ... do not buy this car!!

don't buy the neon
By antidodge on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

during the three years that I have owned this vehicle I've put over 6,000 dollars in repair. I've replaced the head gasket, transmission, and the motor. This car does not even have 85,000 miles on it.

What A Joke
By A SUCKER on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

This is truly a piece of junk. These cars come staight from the factory with a warped head. Which i believe is like most owners of this car "warped heads". If you don't get the head shaved on theses cars you will have the same problem over again. And then they will start to burn oil and you are spending more money then for gas it seems! I have never had to do so much work to keep it going. I will never own another and will tell my friends the same.

Costly to maintain
By Wiseguy357 on 11/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car, I did not know that it had a lot of problems. The car was cheap when i got it($4500).I have had thousands of dollars worth of repairs done to it. I have had trouble with: head gasket,axle seals, barrings in the transmission,master cylinder, breaks, rotors, ac compressor, battery and minor electric problems. I have 12" subs in the trunk, and it really rattles when the bass hits.