1997 Dodge Neon Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Great Little Car
By zxcvb on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

We bought the car in 99. My Teenage daughter drives it. It has had some considerable use, in the time that we own it. I have not had any repair costs for this vehicle, only the usual maintenance type of stuff. It's a GREAT little car.

Used Neon Experience
By KVL on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

I bought this car from the original owner at a discount, knowing that the head gasket would eventually need repair. It was in good shape and fun to drive. I drove it over 1000 miles the first month, on a trip to Maine. About 4 months later, my mechanic replaced the gasket and also replaced the timing belt, major head bolts, and other things that needed it. Since then, it uses maybe a quart of oil per 1500 miles (instead of 500 or less miles before).

I expected something better
By It@doesntmatter.com on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

I'm very disappointed. Less that 40K miles and have had too many things go wrong. Currently have it in the shop, all dials (water, speedometer, tach, odometer, etc) stopped moving. I'm told it's due to a bad circuit board, $440 to fix. Also have gone through two sets of tires and approaching the third already.

My Favorite Car Ever!
By Joelabc on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

I recently bought a 97 Dodge Neon Sport, 2 door car from Winnipeg, Canada. The car has 70000kms (43000 miles). The funny thing is that this car has the DOHC 150 hp engine. According to this site the 97 neon sports do not have this engine, they have the SOHC 132hp engine. It could because this is a Canadian car and varies slightly from the American car. But anyway i bought the car for only $7000 CAN, or $4500 USD. This car runs like a dream, its fast, looks sweet, is remarkable on gas, and is cheap to fill up as well. This car also has plenty of aftermarket modifications you can do to it which i plan to do in the future. Buy a neon!

VERY HAPPY
By cwalsh32084 on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

I haven't had any problems with mine. I would recommend for any college student like me to get one because they are cheap and really good cars.

JUNK! This car was a nightmare!
By Cshel on 03/18/02 10:34 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this thing brand new...What a disappointment! Amen to the previous statement from another user about ELECTRICAL problems! Mine ate batteries like crazy...Usually the car was disabled because it would not start...Had a little transmission trouble, interior problems, seats splitting, dash cracking all under 20k...Traded for a FORD! (BTW the electrical problems were never fixed)Wanted rid of this piece of junk before the warranty expired!!!

Great car, fun to drive
By Bfett4eva on 03/17/02 13:50 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

Only simple repairs needed. Very reliable. I liked the Neon so much I bought another.

Ok car
By leanboy on 03/16/02 10:35 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

Pretty reliable, only suprise problem was a fuel pump failure at 40,000 miles. Well known engine gasket problem at 60,000 but Chrysler will pay for it if you push them. I get 25mpg, which I think is low for such a small car.