Used 1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Great Cars
By neonknight97

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

Ive owned this car for 7 years and for what I have had to put in it you cant find a better car.

Great power from the underdog SOHC engine, Very comfortable seating up front. Its my car so I dont ride in the back but I pity the people who do.

Dont discontinue it in 05. Let one of the only small cars in the past few years to actually turn a nice profit stay.

I hate my neon
By Tanya

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

I think neons are the worst cars ever! I hate my neon, i only get 11 miles to the gallon, it shakes so bad. I can't go over 20mph on hills.

The only thing is the shape of the car thats the cutest part.

Everything! I've put 3,000 of work into my car since i bought it. I've replaced, my headgasket (1,200$), Radiator (800$) both o2 sensors (200$) fuel filter (75$) Timing belt and water pump (1,500$) I hate my neon!

This is a great little car!
By Neonlover

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

My wife and I bought this car new in '97. We have driven it in virtually all weather conditions that you may encounter in the United States. This car is phenomenal in the snow. My wife and I are not gentle on the car either. We both like to use the 150 HP engine, bringing it to redline every once in a while. Gas milage has been as high as 39 on the highway and as low as 28 in the city. Not too bad in my book. We did have to replace the Head Gasket at 39K miles under warranty, but since then, we have only had fun with the car. I would highly recommend this car.

Gas milage. Interior room (you'll be amazed). Interior and exterior appearance. Reliability. Acceleration from a stock engine. Winter worthiness.

Improve the fastening of the head gasket by increasing the number of studs clamping the head down to prevent original head gasket leakage. Increase the suspension travel in the rear of the car. Improve the factory paint so that peeling doesn't happen to the blue cars.

should go manual.
By hherve

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

Decent car. The automatic transmission makes the performance poor. The comfort is fine. In brief, a very good car if you just look for 1 engine 4 wheels, 4/5 seats and a roomy trunk. Should have got it manual and it would have been great (hopefully).

Better automatic transmission would make it nicer to handle.

NeoncoloredLEMON
By nowahondadriver

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

Off the lot was a piece of garbage. Went through 2 yrs of arb. w/ Chrysler eventually gave me a 75k warranty. More time in shop than in driveway. Clugging sound in suspension, head gasket blew, oil leaked first 2 months, seat cloth defective, bad accel. on automatic, trunk never stay open, blowout nearly killed me, funnel shaped gas tank, bad gas mileage, "alloy wheel" coating disintegrated, bad int. noise, deposit problem in choke and more. Got lucky, head gasket blew just b4 warranty expired so I sold it. I'm still paying for the bad karma from it's sale.

Net loss was only about $8,000

This car turned a faithful Chrysler buff to a Honda driver. If you own a Neon, esp. this make/model recommend "accidentally" leaving the keys in the ignition often and pray it gets stolen.