1997 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Keeps on Goin'!
By RedneckDixie87 on 05/26/08 14:15 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

This was my first car and I love it its 2008 and I don't want a new car although we are having some problems with it now which is expected it is 11 years old but it gets up to speed fast and drives great. It's comfortable is roomy and with gas at $4 a gallon its great on gas! Haven't had to replace much only thing is the paint especially the green ones like mine i see have the rust spots.

Expensive brand new, but OK overall
By Kayla on 06/13/07 20:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I'm the original owner and this is the first car that did not have a lot of problems at all. Had the car for 10 years and plan to keep it for my son. Yes, the doors with no frame are a little disappointing. They leak a bit when raining and it's noisy when driving, but overall the car has been doing OK. I just had some regular jobs done on it. Recently put a new engine, but hey, it's been 10 years! The paint is still in great condition, I have the hunter green. My 16 year old son likes it and looks forward to having it for himself, and this is a manual car!

Purple Penelope
By Lauren on 07/22/06 18:28 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

The Neon was my first car. It was a terrific first car. It was easy to drive, handled well, spacious, great on gas, and cute. It only had minor problems like loose cables (easy to fix). At over 118,000 miles, it drove like new. I can't complain.

Don't buy this car!
By KG on 11/13/05 19:22 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

Like others, I bought this car b/c it was cheap. But the build quality is horrendous. Huge oil leak, squealing brakes, leaky trunk, a/c that isn't cold, turn signals don't work intermitantly, black rubber seals on door panels stain my clothes, side panel fell off after glue wore out, and such a rough transmission. Just a terribly executed small car.

My best investment
By Dee on 08/10/05 18:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I bought my Neon new in '97. Aside from normal maintenance such as tires, brakes, etc., the single only repair I have had to make was replacing my starter at 90k miles. I love my Neon and would gladly purchase another. Key point: take care of it. My oil was changed regularly with protective additives routinely. I haven't even had so much as a belt break. I drive about 200 miles a day for work 4 days a week now, and I am thankful for this car and its dependability.

Beware not a car to purchase
By nfrn on 07/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

We bought our 97 Neon new in late 1996 and it has been nothing but trouble. The headgasket has been replaced twice , brakes 3 times and we had it laid up for six months in a garage because it wouldn't start and no one could find the problem ( eventually the third mechanic to look at it found the key chuck had snapped off the end of the cam ). It still has only has 70000 miles on it. For 50000 of those miles I would say oil was leaking from somewhere. The Dodge dealers in Texas were fair to deal with but back here in Newfoundland they were nothing but trouble so we eventually purchased a Saturn.

Split Decision on this car
By BigSAC on 06/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

It's got a nice exterior look and decent accelaration for a car in it's size/class. The doors feel cheap. The big problems that I experienced were reat oil seal and then a blown head gasket, around the 65-75 thousand mile timeframe. Ask any mechanic, the head gasket will blow, and while the replacement gasket is improved, it will blow also. Each of these repairs will cost $1000+.

Junk Car
By extremely unhappy on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

This car has many problems. Head Gasket went, squeaky brakes, windows don't seal....seems to be a recurring problem. Like others, the "customer service" department didn't live up to thier name! I would NOT recommend buying a Neon!

My commuter car
By mswing11 on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

It's just plain fun to drive, even to work. For a small car, it fits a tall guy quite well. It has been very dependable. For a used car to need no repairs except a battery and front brake pads is awesome. An easy car to service.

too many repairs
By Very displeased on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I do not suggest buying this car unless you are a mechanic, or someone else who gets cheap parts and labour, because otherwise you will probably spend more money repairing it than you did buying it! short list of problems I have had -leaky trunk -framless windows that dont seal and leak into car -faulty head gasket -smelly AC -squeaky brakes that never shut up -radiator fan relay died -steering seizes up when you drive through puddles -bad wiring