1997 Dodge Neon Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Little Red FunDrive
By Customs_MP on 04/10/10 05:34 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

Vehicle bought from salvage pool for wife-no damage-theft/recovery. 2 head gaskets needed replaced; then normal maintenance. Had dings taken out, repainted red w/clearcoat, added cruise control She loves it and will keep it til it dies!

Save Yourself.
By don't do it. on 02/22/10 12:41 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

Chipped paint, burns oil like crazy, coolant leak, fuel pump is going out, serpentine belt is squeaking, the backseat is a joke -- really, nobody can fit in this car. There are some good things. I love the acceleration. Love the manual trans. I like how it handles and parking it is great. But there are so many other better cars out there. You may get it for cheap -- but it will cost you more in the long run.

Great Vehicle
By h j on 09/26/08 04:25 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

I just purchased for a sweet 16 gift, i rebuilt and went through everything on the car. i have been driving it to make sure it is a safe car for her, This is a great compact car, smooth ride, great handling, great on the gas mileage. it is a very comfortable car to ride in

The paint chipped Neon
By Billy on 03/26/07 17:29 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

Well originally my father bought this car for himself and it had 140,000 miles on it from the dealer. It was in good shape one paint chip on the right side of the car behind the driver side door. The car never seemed to give to much trouble, a blown head gasket and a transmission leak were two very big problems, other then that the car has run fine and been dependable. When I got it as my first car it became a bit of a nightmare, with 166,000 miles and almost no paint left with an oil leak and a fried electrical system I couldn't expect much though being that it was worn out and my father gave it almost little to no service at all I'd say it had a good run as a fun sporty car.

A good, sporty, economical car.
By JP04 on 06/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

I'm the original owner of the Neon and I will admit that during the first two years, this car suffered through a lot of problems. Some examples are blown head gasket after 9 months, clouding paint after one year, and factory sunroof breaking EVERY summer ( three times during the third year ). However, after these "teething" problems, the car has turned out to be a reliable, thrifty, comfortable and fun little car.

Great Cars
By neonknight97 on 03/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

Ive owned this car for 7 years and for what I have had to put in it you cant find a better car.

I hate my neon
By Tanya on 01/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

I think neons are the worst cars ever! I hate my neon, i only get 11 miles to the gallon, it shakes so bad. I can't go over 20mph on hills.

This is a great little car!
By Neonlover on 09/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

My wife and I bought this car new in '97. We have driven it in virtually all weather conditions that you may encounter in the United States. This car is phenomenal in the snow. My wife and I are not gentle on the car either. We both like to use the 150 HP engine, bringing it to redline every once in a while. Gas milage has been as high as 39 on the highway and as low as 28 in the city. Not too bad in my book. We did have to replace the Head Gasket at 39K miles under warranty, but since then, we have only had fun with the car. I would highly recommend this car.

should go manual.
By hherve on 07/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

Decent car. The automatic transmission makes the performance poor. The comfort is fine. In brief, a very good car if you just look for 1 engine 4 wheels, 4/5 seats and a roomy trunk. Should have got it manual and it would have been great (hopefully).

NeoncoloredLEMON
By nowahondadriver on 07/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

Off the lot was a piece of garbage. Went through 2 yrs of arb. w/ Chrysler eventually gave me a 75k warranty. More time in shop than in driveway. Clugging sound in suspension, head gasket blew, oil leaked first 2 months, seat cloth defective, bad accel. on automatic, trunk never stay open, blowout nearly killed me, funnel shaped gas tank, bad gas mileage, "alloy wheel" coating disintegrated, bad int. noise, deposit problem in choke and more. Got lucky, head gasket blew just b4 warranty expired so I sold it. I'm still paying for the bad karma from it's sale.