Used 1997 Dodge Neon Highline Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Keeps on Goin'!
By RedneckDixie87

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

This was my first car and I love it its 2008 and I don't want a new car although we are having some problems with it now which is expected it is 11 years old but it gets up to speed fast and drives great. It's comfortable is roomy and with gas at $4 a gallon its great on gas! Haven't had to replace much only thing is the paint especially the green ones like mine i see have the rust spots.

Interior, Engine

Cup holders shouldn't be so low. Improve the paint you use for the exterior

Expensive brand new, but OK overall
By Kayla

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I'm the original owner and this is the first car that did not have a lot of problems at all. Had the car for 10 years and plan to keep it for my son. Yes, the doors with no frame are a little disappointing. They leak a bit when raining and it's noisy when driving, but overall the car has been doing OK. I just had some regular jobs done on it. Recently put a new engine, but hey, it's been 10 years! The paint is still in great condition, I have the hunter green. My 16 year old son likes it and looks forward to having it for himself, and this is a manual car!

Pretty powerful for the size. The paint is still great looking, comfortable and roomy even sitting in the back seat.

Definitely needs framed doors and the back windows need to roll down a bit more that just 1/4 of the way.

Purple Penelope
By Lauren

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

The Neon was my first car. It was a terrific first car. It was easy to drive, handled well, spacious, great on gas, and cute. It only had minor problems like loose cables (easy to fix). At over 118,000 miles, it drove like new. I can't complain.

I added a CD player because it only had a cassette. I want power everything! No more rolly windows or requesting passengers to 'lock the door when you get out'!

Don't buy this car!
By KG

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

Like others, I bought this car b/c it was cheap. But the build quality is horrendous. Huge oil leak, squealing brakes, leaky trunk, a/c that isn't cold, turn signals don't work intermitantly, black rubber seals on door panels stain my clothes, side panel fell off after glue wore out, and such a rough transmission. Just a terribly executed small car.

Well, it hasn't left me stranded anywhere yet.

Thank goodness production of the Neon is finally being halted.

My best investment
By Dee

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I bought my Neon new in '97. Aside from normal maintenance such as tires, brakes, etc., the single only repair I have had to make was replacing my starter at 90k miles. I love my Neon and would gladly purchase another. Key point: take care of it. My oil was changed regularly with protective additives routinely. I haven't even had so much as a belt break. I drive about 200 miles a day for work 4 days a week now, and I am thankful for this car and its dependability.

Has wonderful get up and go for a 4 cylinder, with good gas mileage too. The reliability though has been tops.

The windows being frameless don't seal as well as they could. the window rubber is junky and falls down, but goes right back up when you press it in place. Headlights become very cloudy with age.