Used 1997 Dodge Neon Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

The paint chipped Neon
By Billy

1997 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

Well originally my father bought this car for himself and it had 140,000 miles on it from the dealer. It was in good shape one paint chip on the right side of the car behind the driver side door. The car never seemed to give to much trouble, a blown head gasket and a transmission leak were two very big problems, other then that the car has run fine and been dependable. When I got it as my first car it became a bit of a nightmare, with 166,000 miles and almost no paint left with an oil leak and a fried electrical system I couldn't expect much though being that it was worn out and my father gave it almost little to no service at all I'd say it had a good run as a fun sporty car.

Roomy interior, easy to drive, strong air conditioner and heater.

The exterior paint, the interior design, the quality of the electrical system and the slow engine.

A good, sporty, economical car.
By JP04

1997 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

I'm the original owner of the Neon and I will admit that during the first two years, this car suffered through a lot of problems. Some examples are blown head gasket after 9 months, clouding paint after one year, and factory sunroof breaking EVERY summer ( three times during the third year ). However, after these "teething" problems, the car has turned out to be a reliable, thrifty, comfortable and fun little car.

Comfortable and roomy interior. The engine is a little rough around the edges ( Honda and Toyota engineers need not run back to the drawing board ) but it's relatively quick and economical.

Better paint quality. I have the "lapis blue" paint and it's cracking and peeling on the roof, quarter panel, and trunk lid. Chrysler will not acknowledge that there is a problem with the factory paint not adhering to the primer. Improve sunroof design.

This is a great little car!
By Neonlover

1997 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

My wife and I bought this car new in '97. We have driven it in virtually all weather conditions that you may encounter in the United States. This car is phenomenal in the snow. My wife and I are not gentle on the car either. We both like to use the 150 HP engine, bringing it to redline every once in a while. Gas milage has been as high as 39 on the highway and as low as 28 in the city. Not too bad in my book. We did have to replace the Head Gasket at 39K miles under warranty, but since then, we have only had fun with the car. I would highly recommend this car.

Gas milage. Interior room (you'll be amazed). Interior and exterior appearance. Reliability. Acceleration from a stock engine. Winter worthiness.

Improve the fastening of the head gasket by increasing the number of studs clamping the head down to prevent original head gasket leakage. Increase the suspension travel in the rear of the car. Improve the factory paint so that peeling doesn't happen to the blue cars.

NeoncoloredLEMON
By nowahondadriver

1997 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

Off the lot was a piece of garbage. Went through 2 yrs of arb. w/ Chrysler eventually gave me a 75k warranty. More time in shop than in driveway. Clugging sound in suspension, head gasket blew, oil leaked first 2 months, seat cloth defective, bad accel. on automatic, trunk never stay open, blowout nearly killed me, funnel shaped gas tank, bad gas mileage, "alloy wheel" coating disintegrated, bad int. noise, deposit problem in choke and more. Got lucky, head gasket blew just b4 warranty expired so I sold it. I'm still paying for the bad karma from it's sale.

Net loss was only about $8,000

This car turned a faithful Chrysler buff to a Honda driver. If you own a Neon, esp. this make/model recommend "accidentally" leaving the keys in the ignition often and pray it gets stolen.

My Favorite Car Ever!
By Joelabc

1997 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

I recently bought a 97 Dodge Neon Sport, 2 door car from Winnipeg, Canada. The car has 70000kms (43000 miles). The funny thing is that this car has the DOHC 150 hp engine. According to this site the 97 neon sports do not have this engine, they have the SOHC 132hp engine. It could because this is a Canadian car and varies slightly from the American car. But anyway i bought the car for only $7000 CAN, or $4500 USD. This car runs like a dream, its fast, looks sweet, is remarkable on gas, and is cheap to fill up as well. This car also has plenty of aftermarket modifications you can do to it which i plan to do in the future. Buy a neon!