1997 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Little Red FunDrive
By Customs_MP on 04/10/10 05:34 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

Vehicle bought from salvage pool for wife-no damage-theft/recovery. 2 head gaskets needed replaced; then normal maintenance. Had dings taken out, repainted red w/clearcoat, added cruise control She loves it and will keep it til it dies!

Save Yourself.
By don't do it. on 02/22/10 12:41 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

Chipped paint, burns oil like crazy, coolant leak, fuel pump is going out, serpentine belt is squeaking, the backseat is a joke -- really, nobody can fit in this car. There are some good things. I love the acceleration. Love the manual trans. I like how it handles and parking it is great. But there are so many other better cars out there. You may get it for cheap -- but it will cost you more in the long run.

Great Vehicle
By h j on 09/26/08 04:25 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I just purchased for a sweet 16 gift, i rebuilt and went through everything on the car. i have been driving it to make sure it is a safe car for her, This is a great compact car, smooth ride, great handling, great on the gas mileage. it is a very comfortable car to ride in

should go manual.
By hherve on 07/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

Decent car. The automatic transmission makes the performance poor. The comfort is fine. In brief, a very good car if you just look for 1 engine 4 wheels, 4/5 seats and a roomy trunk. Should have got it manual and it would have been great (hopefully).

Used Neon Experience
By KVL on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I bought this car from the original owner at a discount, knowing that the head gasket would eventually need repair. It was in good shape and fun to drive. I drove it over 1000 miles the first month, on a trip to Maine. About 4 months later, my mechanic replaced the gasket and also replaced the timing belt, major head bolts, and other things that needed it. Since then, it uses maybe a quart of oil per 1500 miles (instead of 500 or less miles before).

I expected something better
By It@doesntmatter.com on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I'm very disappointed. Less that 40K miles and have had too many things go wrong. Currently have it in the shop, all dials (water, speedometer, tach, odometer, etc) stopped moving. I'm told it's due to a bad circuit board, $440 to fix. Also have gone through two sets of tires and approaching the third already.

VERY HAPPY
By cwalsh32084 on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I haven't had any problems with mine. I would recommend for any college student like me to get one because they are cheap and really good cars.

Great car, fun to drive
By Bfett4eva on 03/17/02 13:50 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

Only simple repairs needed. Very reliable. I liked the Neon so much I bought another.

Ok car
By leanboy on 03/16/02 10:35 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

Pretty reliable, only suprise problem was a fuel pump failure at 40,000 miles. Well known engine gasket problem at 60,000 but Chrysler will pay for it if you push them. I get 25mpg, which I think is low for such a small car.