1996 Dodge Neon Consumer Review: Neons are cute, but beware!

1996 Dodge Neon - Consumer Review

Highline Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Neons are cute, but beware!
By Carolyn on

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

Bought my Neon in 2000 with only 24,000 mi on it. The dealership had already replaced a head gasket. Since then, I have had to replace the radiator, an O2 sensor, and the dash circuit board (my speedometer stopped working!) The brakes squeak constantly, it slips in the rain even with good tires (I won't even mention in the snow), and the doors/handles freeze solid in the cold. Rear speakers are blown, tape deck quit working. So many problems, and it only JUST passed 56,000 mi. AC isn't very cold, and sucks the life out the acceleration. When I first got the car, I loved how cute it was, but now I look at it and I can't wait to buy my Honda CR-V. No more Dodge products for me!

The gas mileage is WONDERFUL. It's also a cute-looking car. Decent pick-up as long as you aren't using the AC or defroster. Good amount of trunk space for a small car. Easy to change the oil, add washer fluid, etc., because everything under the hood is well- labeled.

Most of the problems I've had with my Neon are not unique to my car-- they are common problems with Neons. For instance, the O2 sensor and electrical problems. Dodge definitely needed to use better parts in this car!!