Used 1996 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

1996 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Don't buy it
By Thom Bollinger

1996 Dodge Neon 2dr Coupe

Spent much in repairs: head gasket, EGR valve, radio works from time to time, heater cuts off after half hour of use, door windows not secure in door and are now scratched, seat stitching separated after two years.

Favorite Features

Looks great with a wax.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest that Dodge build a car with durability and high resale value in mind. Dodge execs should visit a Honda plant and copy what they do.

Buyer Beware
By NeonPOOR

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

This car is a money pit. I used to love it...before two head gaskets, The latest todat to the tune of 1,000 dollars. Two weeks ago I put in $400. As I bought this as a year old rental...I have to wonder what they di to it. AC has been repaired. New brake system (FYI the breaks squeal on all models for this year) Can't get the dome light to turn off. Just found out that the uneven tire wear is a problem many others have had. A new set of tires every year because of inside wear. Ticking sound in dash. Stopping in intersections (Had to put in a new cable from the battery to alternator to solve that problem.)

Favorite Features

Attractive outer package, Interior space, visability

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler needs to own up to the design defect for the headgasket. No more Chryslers for me. Saw on the net that a class action suit has been filed against them for this car. I am keeping my repair bills in the hopes of being reimbursed. It should have been recalled.

Don't Buy a Neon!!!
By dalandra

1996 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since 1999, and I am very disappointed in it. I have had to replace the brakes, shocks, struts, rotors, strut mounts, and numerous other parts. It's constantly leaking and now the transmission is starting to go. Also my vents don't work properly and the defrost doesn't work. My paint started peeling six months after I bought it. This seems to be a problem with many Neons. They are also very, very bad in snow, and slide and get stuck very easily. Several of my friends have Neons and they hate them too. I regret buying my car and I am now in the process of buying a new one. DON'T BUY A NEON, you will regret it.

Favorite Features

interior room, fold down back seats

Suggested Improvements

improve quality! needs a bigger trunk, cupholders inconvienent, sits too low to the ground

A good little car really
By TexasNeon

1996 Dodge Neon 2dr Coupe

My parents bought me this as my first car. It certainly isn't the most flash car ever...it's accelleration is suffering a bit with age...but all in all, as a first car it has served it's duty. It is fairly reliable

Favorite Features

Colour

Suggested Improvements

obviously the paint job should and has been fixed... that zincs a killer

Too many repairs
By Neonowner

1996 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

I have had my neon for about 7 mths. i bought it in 2002 with 63k miles. Within 2 months i had to replace a circuit board which costed $343 then i had an oil leak that costed $80. Now i am having a new valve put on i dont rem. what the valve was called. and motor mounts because they were corroded and cracked. this repair will cost over $600 dollars. take my advice dont buy a neon.. they are decent cars but you will end up spending as much money as you paid for it in repairs.

Suggested Improvements

the whole engine.