Used 1996 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

1996 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Neons are the worst cars EVER!
By Lynnette

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

This has been a horrible car to own. I have stuck so much money into repairs. Two fuel pumps, overheating problems, two EGR valves, AIS motor, struts, and many others. It has broken down while I have been in the middle of moving twice. I'm sure the fuel pump went out on it before I owned it. If you like spending money constantly on repairs get one. Otherwise do yourself a favor and buy something else.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage was good.

Suggested Improvements

Build a more reliable car overall.

I agree!
By Chandra

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I bought my Neon new and have tried to keep up with regular maintenance. At this point, I have replaced all of the engine gaskets and transmission gaskets because they were made of plastic and sprung leaks starting while the car was under warranty, the radiator broke (made of plastic, too!), and a number of other repairs that seem surprising for this car have been made. On top of that, the car gets dented if you look at it wrong. Luckily, I have not had the paint problems others have complained about.

Favorite Features

It's cute and it's paid for.

Suggested Improvements

This car should have been recalled in 1997 when the Dodge coporation already knew that the plastic gaskets they used were no good - or they should have footed the bill for ALL replacements and not just those under warranty. I will never buy Dodge products again.

Piece of junk
By kgris1

1996 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

stay away.. tons of oil problems. Also alot of electrical problems, that dealers can't fix. Such as speedometer, gfuel gauge etc. sometimes they work but most of the time they don't. The only good part about the car is the interior-It has held up very well.. Stll in excellent shape

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

redesign entire vehicle-new engine. Steal a page from the Japanese play book.

Don't repeat my mistake!
By sirlordsoul

1996 Dodge Neon 2dr Coupe

A rip off! Don't buy this car. I bought mine new and have had an endless series of major repairs (oil leaks, the car computer, door handles coming loose, and the air conditioning -- TWICE!) over seven years. Whatever I "saved" in the relatively low purchase price has been taken away in repairs. And keep in mind that I kept up with ALL of the recommended maintenance. Now I'm stuck with a lemon drawing its last breaths! Thank you very much Chrysler -- I'm going to avoid your crappy product as long as I live! And they wonder why people don't like American cars ...

Favorite Features

It worked well for the first two years anyway. And it did have the feel of a poor man's Honda.

Suggested Improvements

Oh yeah -- this has design flaws out the yin yang. The windows don't close properly, the windshield wipers are positioned such that they don't wipe well, the car fogs up constantly, plus the worksmanhip is shoddy. The paint chipped off, too -- can't these people do anything right?

Don't buy a neon
By redcurls417

1996 Dodge Neon 2dr Coupe

My maintenence log has become a novel for my 96 Dodge Neon. --original paint has peeled off --air conditioner broke 5 times in first 3 years --engine belt shreaded first week of ownership --hole in gas tank and oil leak in past year --gas mileage has gone down considerably in the past year