1996 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Great Car
By Original Neon Owner on 05/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I am the original owner of my 1996 Dodge Neon Highline Coupe. I've had it for 5 years now, and 70,000 miles later, I'm still very happy with it. Yes, I've had the head gasket break too, just like everybody else, but I took care of the problem, and haven't had anything go wrong since, besides a tail light bulb burning out ($1.00 replacement). I drive it hard, and it's been so reliable that I am not even thinking about trading it in yet. I'm planning on keeping this car for at least another 2 or 3 years. It's been a great investment!

Love this Neon
By pcannon on 05/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

One of the best cars I have ever owned. Hard to give it up! Really fun to drive and seemed like it was built just for me! It fits like a glove! Original owner and simply enjoyed ownership. I know many bad reports but in 7 years and 53000 miles all I had to do was replace a/c evaporator, exhaust gasket, muffler, front brakes and rotors, in addition to regularly scheduled maintenance. Also had an unrepairable wind noise problem with both front windows which Chrysler broadcasted a TSB for, so competant dealer should be able to repair but could not so I had to live with it! Few rattles beginning to develope at 53000.

OK So far !!
By tamra on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I bought my Neon last Dec. from a very well know dealership for selling "BAD CARS" i did not know when they sold me the car. So far all I have replaced on my neon is the brakes and a signal bulb. My car is at 93,960. It still runs good, alittle hard sometimes, but overall nice- When I bought it they said I had a new head gasket kit done, etc., so I hope they did not lie to me because if anything goes wrong like the other people? I will be in court...

heh
By neon owner on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

i bought a 1996 std neon for my first car, from a guy at school. i have had a few problems with it nothing real big. not to quick in acceleration wish i would of got a 6 banger now. but one set back is going up steep hills you can have the pedal to the floor and you will barely get going. other than that it drives pretty good. good steering. so all in all i am satisfied with it but advice to you get a 6 cylinder unless you want to be putting along up a hill

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By EX-Neon Owner on 04/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I am trading my neon tomorrow. The milage is at 96,900 and it has cracked a third head gasket. The first one was under 36,000 the second at 80K and then this one two days ago. I asked my mechanic if I could leave the car in his lot over night with the keys in it, and pray somebody would be stupid enough to steal it! The car is comfortable inside, and cute outside, but that is it. I have had exhaust issues, had the valve cover gasket replaced, Oxygen sensor replaced, and other things that I cannor even remember. It has no "get up and go", brakes lock on wet roads, and goes throug head gaskets like socks.

Best Used Car I Ever Bought
By Jay R on 03/13/02 17:18 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I just bought my Neon 2 weeks ago and I am very happy so far. It is in immaculate condition inside and out. No rust, looks brand new, and the previous owner really toke good care of it. I am very pleased with this car and I hope to get a few years out of it. It is averageing 30 mpg in city driving and has incredible acceleration. You have to really thoughly car shop before committing, otherwise you'll get burned. I looked for 6 weeks before committing and I got a great deal.

Very Disappointed
By Very Disappointed on 03/04/02 02:58 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I have had numerous problems since I bought this vehicle 6 years ago: the paint discolored on the hood and trunk twice; the interior light works only when it wants to; the break lights stayed on continuously; the turn signal broke twice; major head gasket leak: the dealer said the factory was offering a $100 deductable because it was an ongoing problem with this vehicle. No problems yet w/the new headgasket;AC has gone bad 5 times now.