1996 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
I love my Neon!
By sharona on 10/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I,too, had the head gasket problem but the dealership gave me a real cheap price to replace it because they admitted the older Neons had this problem. Had a couple of other minor problems (erg valve and the coil pack) but they were covered under warranty. I have 104,000 miles on her now and she still runs great! Good acceleration, hugs corners, great fuel mileage, heat the would make the devil hot, great a/c. great radio/speakers and she always starts! Good cold weather car!

damiler should not have gotten involved
By robert filips on 10/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

headgasket, and peeling paint

Stay Away from this Car
By NoMoreNeons on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

I promise this, is my last Chrysler product. I have had bad experiences with everyone of them except a Jeep Wrangler, but I got rid of it just in time. My neon is the worst of the lot. Head Gasket blew at about 30K, fortunately, still under warranty. I have 80,000 miles now and pray it won't blow again based on other reviews. Constant problems ever since though. Can't seem, to keep the AC running more than 2 months at a time. Spent $1,000 repairing it this June, and it went out in less than 6 weeks. Took three more trips to the shop to try to fix it. Leaks oil, transmission fluid, etc.

Horrible Car
By Very upset on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

Where should I start? I can say for sure that I will never buy another Chrysler again. This car constantly has problems...I have put over $3,000 into it just this year, and I am a broke college student. When I take it to the dealership, they are rude. In fact, just a few weeks ago, my check engine light came on and I took it to get fixed...4 times!! The light kept coming on and they would say they fixed it but they didn't. Needless to say, I am still driving with the light on. Don't buy this car...it was a waste of money for me!

This car ROCKS
By loudneon on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

Wow what to say. I love my Neon. I ordered it with the DOHC and 5 speed. Best car I have. Buy one. Give it a turbo and suspension drop, then go kick some honda butt. Buy the DOHC not the SOHC. Never had a head gasket problem. I run it hard everyday too. 60mph 5500rpm in third gear hard around corners. Kicked my brothers 96 Avenger to the curb.

I like it better now than 100k miles ago
By whippingpostguy on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

This car is a warrior, I deliver newspapers with it in Minnesota, and it keeps on running. Routine maintanence is easy, albeit a bit crowded. I never though 6 years ago I'd be still driving it and it would still act and look like new.

The noen that has oil leak
By chad utz on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

The paint is pealing off the body after 30,000 miles. The head gasket leaks the compnay know it but will not help you to fix it.

waste of money
By givemeabreak on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

this is the worst car i've ever owned. it spent more time in the shop than on the road. everythingwent wrong from the head gasket to the transmission to the brakes and the air compressor. after 2 years of owning the car i was finally hit head on in which he dual side air bags NEVER EVEN INFLATED!!!! good riddance to a horrible vehicle.

A Fun Lemon to Drive
By Geodon on 07/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I bought my lemon....I mean Neon in 97' off of a lease. Problems began to surface immediately. I replaced the passenger power window. The brakes made these ungodly noises. It sounded like a garbage truck but this is normal. My battery cable disintegrated, followed by water flooding the rear passenger cabin's floor every time it rained (bad weather stripping). Luckily this was under warranty. After the warranty, no major problems until 85,000mi. The head gasket blew leaking oil into the radiator, plugging it up. I sold it for way less than it was worth. It was fun to drive and race around in, but not reliable and very disappointing.

Me and my neon
By User1 on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

I got my neon on 96 and sice then I have put a lot of miles on it I'll said about 185000 .didn't have a problem until last year when little by little the card has began to nighmare of asking from smothing every month.1 like everyone else the head gasked started to leak oil, then about3 moths ago my water pum, and timing belt when out and finally last week my gas pump when out.To tell you the true I feel satisfied even though i had to fix it so many times lately because before that it never gave me a problem and believe me I have really abuse my car.