Used 1996 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

1996 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Complete Lemon
By preevyet

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

Have had an oil leak problem fixed 3 times, but of course not the same problem. Still leaks, have learned to just put oil into it occassionally, cheaper than a third repair. Too much invested to sell, will keep until it completely dies (which should be soon). Also had the timing belt go out, power steering pump die, turn signal fail now twice. O2 Sensor has failed a third time, for a total repairs cost over 5 years of about $1,400.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Build a better car, I will never consider a Neon again.

Should have been Recalled
By feqmxa

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

Bought it new. Had $8500 of body damage 2 weeks after I bought it. Insurance fixed it(should have totalled it). Head cover gasket started leaking oil around 65000 miles. Had it replaced at $600. Started leaking again around 80000 miles. Then head gasket blew. Donated it to charity.

Favorite Features

Looks good, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Head gasket poorly designed, will at least leak oil, at most ruin your engine.

My nice little car.. I just Luv it.
By Bhavesh

1996 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

To be frank I was very afraid while buying this car because of tones of bad reviews. But my experience with this sweety has been wonderful. I simply luv my car. I have it for about two years now and I am very happy with my decision. The only expense in these two years have been once every three month oil changes and some problem with right wheel which cost $270. Its obviously not a powerful as some of the other more expensive cars, especially when you turn on the AC the power drops, but its still very likeable. I would recommend it to anyone. Infact my next car would be a DODGE.

Favorite Features

Nice looks, surprisingly spacious for a small car, comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

The pickup dies a little when AC is turned ON. So may be a more powerful engine.

3 more days and its gone!
By bilahn

1996 Dodge Neon 2dr Coupe

I have had many of the problems stated by the others, the worst of which was a catastrophic oil leak that cost $900 and 3 trips. Now they tell me there's a "miniscule" radiator hole. Plus, the car shakes and vibrates all the time! I wish I hadn't fallend for the hype back in 1996. Rotten car.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

I hope it has improved since then. This car has been a real dud. I have a stack of repair bills 1 foot high. ONE DAY after the warranty expired, the Service Engline lgiht went on - don't remember what it was but it cost $400.

Too much to fix
By Dorothy

1996 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

I would not buy this car unless you have money to keep fixing it. The head gasket will obviously go at multiple points, and then everything else under the hood will go as well.

Favorite Features

Comfortable to drive.