Used 1996 Dodge Neon Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

It just won't die
By Afterthought

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan

I got this car 9 years ago with 25k on it. Sure I've replaced tons of parts (head gasket, alternator, water pump, but not a signle front end part)but I'm not too nice to a car. Decided 2 years ago I'd run it until it died because it's worthless to sell, but the damn thing just won't die. Dents all over, door panel coming off, blown rear strut, but still the thing gets me wherever I'm going reliably and handles the winter better than a 4x4 (and does nice e-brake slides). I'm gonna miss her when she's retired this month, like the really sweet ugly girl you dated that you don't want to admit to.

Favorite Features

Drives like a go-cart

Suggested Improvements

Drives like a go-cart

Do not buy!
By UNHAPPY

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is the worst vehicle that I have ever known. Granted, I bought it salvage title due to a small dent. It only had 70k and I figured it was a champ, by the sound of the engine. $3,000 later, I hate myself for it. I've been through every system of this car. The head gasket, the alternator, the fuel pump, etc. I loath Dodge. Never buy a Neon. Reviews like this are common for this model. I am junking it tomorrow for less than I bought it.

Favorite Features

None, maybe mpg. It does well on gas. Maybe it was fun to drive. I can't remember, it has been too long since it worked.

Suggested Improvements

Don't buy Dodge. Let them first recognize and second address their industrial incompetence by buying from other companies. Dodge produces the worst vehicles. Period.

Great little car!
By Chanda

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had my Neon since May 5, 1997. She's only let me down once due to a freak problem with the idler pulley causing the timing belt to disintegrate at 87,000 miles. We rebuilt her and she's stronger than ever. She was hit on the front passenger corner in November of 2005 and was declared a total loss by the insurance company. We bought her back, fixed her up, and she lives yet again. She's a great car that gets awesome mileage while being a total blast to drive! She's a hoot on the autocross course, too ;)

Very Reliable car
By Joe

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new back in '96. I have to say that as many others have mentioned, I had to change the head gasket, and I had the normal problems with other parts of the car. The latest thing I had to face was a malfunction of the speed sensor, however, it was replaced (not a very expensive replacement part) and everything was back to normal. The painting peeled off the roof, and the rest of the car was darkening (it is white, so you can tell it darkens), but I took it to a furnace full body painting in 2003 and it is brand new now! This car has never left me stranded, and even though the gas mileage is not very good in the city, it is certainly fun to drive!

Favorite Features

Engine power is good, gives you speed when you need it. Replacement parts are not really expensive. Manual transmission. Good internal space for up to 5 people. Good trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint to avoid peel-offs. Better component parts, for those parts that fail often (O2 sensor, speed sensor, head gasket)

Fast, Comfortable, Very Dependable.
By donaldrocks

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my daily driver, and has been for awhile. This car has never left me stranded, or broken down. Its taken 7 trips from michigan to flordia, and never hesitated to do anything, including stopping, dpeeding up quickly, taking curves at high speeds, and always has gotton good gas mileage. I had bought this car after its acident in 2004, and the lot fixed it, and I drove it off the lot, and have had alot of fun with this car in the summer, and it handles great in the winter. By the way, teh heat in these little Neons rocks! A+

Suggested Improvements

Should have put fog lights on all models.