1996 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Neon Sport
By Beth D. on 07/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

Perhaps I've had a bad experience because of the dealership I went through to get my car, but so far I've paid for much more than this car's value. It worked perfectly the first 6 mnths. I had it, but now there is continually a different problem each week and it has become more of a headache than a joy. I'm beginning to learn that purchasing this car was a bad investment. I've had to replace the head gasket (which Neons are supposedly known for having problems with), and I'm having continual battery problems (which may be related to the alternator). This was originally a great car, maybe I just got stuck with a lemon.

don't get one even if it's given to you!
By jetta lover on 02/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

We were happy at first- the style, cabin capacity, and mileage are all good. That was the honeymoon period. Then, the head gasket had to be replaced and the air conditioner repeatedly recharged. At 50,000 miles the engine started crapping out- consuming oil and the engine needed to be replaced- the cost would have "totaled" the car. Had to fill it with a quart of oil once a week. Speedometer worked only when it felt like it... wiring in stereo was bad and the right-passenger-side speaker set on fire. Needed new tires at only about 30,000 miles. Charged A/C a week and a half before we traded it in, and was out of fluid the day we turned it in.

Heed these warnings!
By Tish on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

read this page before, bought the car anyway, and so far i've had the head gasket replaced once, the air conditioned "recharged" once and will need replaced this summer, and now i found out there's been a brake recall on these cars! Too much hassle and $$$ for this fairly so-so car.

not worth it
By dawg774 on 12/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

I don't know where to start with this car. I have had it for 4 years. It has blown 2 head gaskets, had a transmission go out, engine light is constantly on, put 2 new batteries in it, it leaks oil very badly and it wouldn't pass emissions this year...I could go on. Surprisingly, though, through all of that, it has never totally crapped out on me and left me stranded. I'll give it some credit there. This particular year model has a problem with the engine and head gasket so, don't buy it. You people who wrote a positive review about this car are crazy.