1996 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
A trooper!
By Maria on 05/27/10 10:46 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

In my opinion the 1996 Neon is a hands-down winner. After knowing people who had this car and loved it, experiencing the great driving myself, and finding a great deal, I decided to go for it and have not been disappointed. The car definitely has some minor flaws, including crappy paint jobs, but the truth is I've never had to get my car serviced at a mechanic...ever. The things that require service are always minor, and are simple to fix. This car makes several 500+ mile trips per year and I have never been stranded or needed roadside assistance. I had a back-up light problem early on that I thought would be an expensive fix. Turned out it just needed a switch. That's been my biggest issue.

Took My Abuse
By Cranky Teen on 01/15/10 12:44 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

My cranky teen just went past 125,000 miles. It lasted through 11 years of spotty oil changes and benign neglect, but I may have to finally let it go. Had 2 major repairs in that time: Electronics replaced (controlling gauges, radio, etc.) and head gasket repair. Had to rig a fix when the plastic shifter connections broke. Now the transmission/clutch is slowly going, and it stalled on the highway last week. Air conditioner has to be refilled each year and does not last long. Struts gone last year. Paint, 3 speakers, wheel covers, and outside plastic door trim went long ago. She was ugly but got me where I was going; now it's just not worth the cost to fix.

My Dodge
By 1996 dodge neon on 01/11/09 21:25 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I am going to be honest. When I bought this car it was okay. As the year went by everything started to break. I had to do a water pump and timing belt in the first month, then a fuel pump. I am currently in the market now because I am tired of repairing everything on the car. All I can say is that it is a good car as long as the person before you took good care of it. If they didn't then don't waste your time because even though the repairs and parts where cheap (autozone) it still stinks having to fix it every 5 minutes. Right now anti freeze is leaking and the car stalls.

Not Bad
By Malisha on 08/05/06 17:37 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

My dad purchased this car for me, as my second car. It was extremely nice at first, and I loved it. This car does lack extreme horsepower. It takes me about 20-25 seconds to reach 60! Slowest car I have ever driven. The transmission is starting to act up, and the struts are starting to go. Air conditioning was charged when my dad purchased it, and then it was warm agian the summer after. Didn't even last 1 year! But the car has never let me down. Always starts, even when it's cold outside. The paint chips like no other. And the windows leak entremely bad. When I drive on the expressway, all I hear is wind, and that's with the windows up.

Neons are cute, but beware!
By Carolyn on 03/29/05 14:31 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

Bought my Neon in 2000 with only 24,000 mi on it. The dealership had already replaced a head gasket. Since then, I have had to replace the radiator, an O2 sensor, and the dash circuit board (my speedometer stopped working!) The brakes squeak constantly, it slips in the rain even with good tires (I won't even mention in the snow), and the doors/handles freeze solid in the cold. Rear speakers are blown, tape deck quit working. So many problems, and it only JUST passed 56,000 mi. AC isn't very cold, and sucks the life out the acceleration. When I first got the car, I loved how cute it was, but now I look at it and I can't wait to buy my Honda CR-V. No more Dodge products for me!

Good cheap fun
By redskinmu99 on 11/26/04 17:35 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

my brother and I have driven this since new, and it has been very reliable and fun over the past 8 years. Performance is above that of other cars in it's price range, but the car is a little rough around the edges. The paint is notoriously bad, I've been lucky to only have stone chips out of mine but I've seen plenty of neon's with most f the paint peeled off of the hood and front quarter panels. The engine is in good shape after 81,000 miles and the mechanic that most recently looked at it said it will most likely last to over 200,000 miles without a problem. Biggest complaint is the 3 speed transmission. I would have much preferred a 5 speed, it's been a fun car though for the money.

Not good!
By kabarker on 08/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

The transmission went out on me within two years of purchase. There are numerous places where the paint is chipping off. All the other older neons I've seen have paint chipping also. Put more money into it repairing it than its worth.

Complete Lemon
By preevyet on 08/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

Have had an oil leak problem fixed 3 times, but of course not the same problem. Still leaks, have learned to just put oil into it occassionally, cheaper than a third repair. Too much invested to sell, will keep until it completely dies (which should be soon). Also had the timing belt go out, power steering pump die, turn signal fail now twice. O2 Sensor has failed a third time, for a total repairs cost over 5 years of about $1,400.

Neons are the worst cars EVER!
By Lynnette on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

This has been a horrible car to own. I have stuck so much money into repairs. Two fuel pumps, overheating problems, two EGR valves, AIS motor, struts, and many others. It has broken down while I have been in the middle of moving twice. I'm sure the fuel pump went out on it before I owned it. If you like spending money constantly on repairs get one. Otherwise do yourself a favor and buy something else.

I agree!
By Chandra on 07/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I bought my Neon new and have tried to keep up with regular maintenance. At this point, I have replaced all of the engine gaskets and transmission gaskets because they were made of plastic and sprung leaks starting while the car was under warranty, the radiator broke (made of plastic, too!), and a number of other repairs that seem surprising for this car have been made. On top of that, the car gets dented if you look at it wrong. Luckily, I have not had the paint problems others have complained about.