1996 Dodge Neon Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

1996 Neon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Sort Reviews by

It's Used
By Casie

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car seems to be lacking serious horsepower. Or at least mine is. I have the worst gas mileage in the history of 4 cylinders (5spd to boot) Approx 16 mpg. Also it has a major problem with the window sealing. I have a major leakage. Anytime it rains it leaks. If I am driving I hear a lot of air leaking through. But what can I say, it's used.

Favorite Features

It's been reliable. For two months.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest a window support above the windows. Who would have thunk of that?

Don't let looks fool you
By Don't let LOOKS fool

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought used in 2000 and got rid of in '03.<(which is the best thing I've ever done!) Bought to replace my aging '89 Corsica that I loved till the major breakdowns. Obviously, this car wasn't much better. Tons of problems. Was in the shop more than on the road. Oxygen sensor, battery, alternator; just a few of the problems I had w/ it out of many. HIt 2 different deer w/ it and 2 different times. Had 3 different accidents w/ it w/ other vehicles. I think red is a magnet for things to want to attract too. That or bad luck, not sure which? Who knows, but it was always something going wrong. One good thing is that just going to/from work it got good mileage 28/39! Looks are deceiving.....

Favorite Features

Color, exterior styling, rear seat that folds down, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Get it together Dodge!! Make better product then your sales will go up.

neon is nothing special
By danda

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

For a long time it was a great car. It is still pretty reliable. My problems are with the paint, and the durability of the accessories. The door panels keep falling off and breaking. The windows haven't worked right for a long time, The antenna fell off. The gas tank door broke one day. The car is horrible in the snow. It's a reliable vehicle. The gas mileage has decreased, but it still gets 25-32 mpg.

Favorite Features

reliability, performance, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

improve everything else, esp. traction

Great box on wheels. Great college car.
By bartwart

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

We've owned our NEON since it was new in 1996. I'm going to buck the trend here and actually tell you that this is the best, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. However, we got it with a manual transmission and NO options, period. No AC, no power anything, no radio, no nothing. This is your prototypical box on wheels. We even get 40 mpg! At this rate it will last us another 10 years.

Favorite Features

Great gas millage. No mechanical problems, ever.

Suggested Improvements

How can you improve this great box on wheels?

3 more days and its gone!
By bilahn

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have had many of the problems stated by the others, the worst of which was a catastrophic oil leak that cost $900 and 3 trips. Now they tell me there's a "miniscule" radiator hole. Plus, the car shakes and vibrates all the time! I wish I hadn't fallend for the hype back in 1996. Rotten car.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

I hope it has improved since then. This car has been a real dud. I have a stack of repair bills 1 foot high. ONE DAY after the warranty expired, the Service Engline lgiht went on - don't remember what it was but it cost $400.

Don't repeat my mistake!
By sirlordsoul

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

A rip off! Don't buy this car. I bought mine new and have had an endless series of major repairs (oil leaks, the car computer, door handles coming loose, and the air conditioning -- TWICE!) over seven years. Whatever I "saved" in the relatively low purchase price has been taken away in repairs. And keep in mind that I kept up with ALL of the recommended maintenance. Now I'm stuck with a lemon drawing its last breaths! Thank you very much Chrysler -- I'm going to avoid your crappy product as long as I live! And they wonder why people don't like American cars ...

Favorite Features

It worked well for the first two years anyway. And it did have the feel of a poor man's Honda.

Suggested Improvements

Oh yeah -- this has design flaws out the yin yang. The windows don't close properly, the windshield wipers are positioned such that they don't wipe well, the car fogs up constantly, plus the worksmanhip is shoddy. The paint chipped off, too -- can't these people do anything right?

Don't buy a neon
By redcurls417

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

My maintenence log has become a novel for my 96 Dodge Neon. --original paint has peeled off --air conditioner broke 5 times in first 3 years --engine belt shreaded first week of ownership --hole in gas tank and oil leak in past year --gas mileage has gone down considerably in the past year

Don't buy it
By Thom Bollinger

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

Spent much in repairs: head gasket, EGR valve, radio works from time to time, heater cuts off after half hour of use, door windows not secure in door and are now scratched, seat stitching separated after two years.

Favorite Features

Looks great with a wax.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest that Dodge build a car with durability and high resale value in mind. Dodge execs should visit a Honda plant and copy what they do.

A good little car really
By TexasNeon

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

My parents bought me this as my first car. It certainly isn't the most flash car ever...it's accelleration is suffering a bit with age...but all in all, as a first car it has served it's duty. It is fairly reliable

Favorite Features

Colour

Suggested Improvements

obviously the paint job should and has been fixed... that zincs a killer

Please Stay Away
By Noneon

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

Original owner 85,000 miles went thru 2 head gaskets under warranty and Head Gasket is leaking at present time. (no warranty) Had Transmission replaced under warranty.(Lucky) This car is slowly falling apart one piece at a time. Paint on trunk is falling off, interior not holding up well. I will not go near a chrysler product again.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge should replace Head Gaskets at their cost, as there is not a 96 Neon out there that has not had this PROBLEM.