1996 Dodge Neon Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Had to trash it
By phantom on 03/13/07 09:07 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

I absolutely loved this car when I first bought it. Looked great and drove great. After 2 yrs the problems began. The obvious head gasket plus seals had to be replaced. Every sensor on the car pretty much malfunctioned at some point. Every year and yes I mean every year I had to get it serviced due to misfires. One electrical problem after another. Stereo went out. Door looks worked when they wanted to. Drivers side window was loose and leaked. Oddly enough in the 6 years that I owned that car I never replaced the exaust. Not even the muffler. This is a terrible vehicle and I will never buy a Dodge/Chrysler product again. Terrible!

It's Used
By Casie on 05/20/06 10:31 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car seems to be lacking serious horsepower. Or at least mine is. I have the worst gas mileage in the history of 4 cylinders (5spd to boot) Approx 16 mpg. Also it has a major problem with the window sealing. I have a major leakage. Anytime it rains it leaks. If I am driving I hear a lot of air leaking through. But what can I say, it's used.

Don't let looks fool you
By Don't let LOOKS fool on 04/09/06 23:55 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought used in 2000 and got rid of in '03.<(which is the best thing I've ever done!) Bought to replace my aging '89 Corsica that I loved till the major breakdowns. Obviously, this car wasn't much better. Tons of problems. Was in the shop more than on the road. Oxygen sensor, battery, alternator; just a few of the problems I had w/ it out of many. HIt 2 different deer w/ it and 2 different times. Had 3 different accidents w/ it w/ other vehicles. I think red is a magnet for things to want to attract too. That or bad luck, not sure which? Who knows, but it was always something going wrong. One good thing is that just going to/from work it got good mileage 28/39! Looks are deceiving.....

ehh.
By diggit616 on 06/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

This has not been my favorite car but it has done exactly what I needed it to do. No more, no less. It has had it's share of problems though. Drivers window has never worked right, HEAD GASKET, A/C, radio, left blinker turns on when you brake, wears front tires uneven, door panel broke,... At this point I am just glad it still starts; and that is one thing it has always done, start. It may not be the best car I have ever had but it gets me to where I need to go. Great car for new drivers and collage kids. Just don't fool yourself into thinking you won't have any problems with it. Neon quality is an extinct dinosaur.

neon is nothing special
By danda on 05/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

For a long time it was a great car. It is still pretty reliable. My problems are with the paint, and the durability of the accessories. The door panels keep falling off and breaking. The windows haven't worked right for a long time, The antenna fell off. The gas tank door broke one day. The car is horrible in the snow. It's a reliable vehicle. The gas mileage has decreased, but it still gets 25-32 mpg.

Great box on wheels. Great college car.
By bartwart on 09/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

We've owned our NEON since it was new in 1996. I'm going to buck the trend here and actually tell you that this is the best, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. However, we got it with a manual transmission and NO options, period. No AC, no power anything, no radio, no nothing. This is your prototypical box on wheels. We even get 40 mpg! At this rate it will last us another 10 years.

Should have been Recalled
By feqmxa on 08/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

Bought it new. Had $8500 of body damage 2 weeks after I bought it. Insurance fixed it(should have totalled it). Head cover gasket started leaking oil around 65000 miles. Had it replaced at $600. Started leaking again around 80000 miles. Then head gasket blew. Donated it to charity.

My nice little car.. I just Luv it.
By Bhavesh on 07/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

To be frank I was very afraid while buying this car because of tones of bad reviews. But my experience with this sweety has been wonderful. I simply luv my car. I have it for about two years now and I am very happy with my decision. The only expense in these two years have been once every three month oil changes and some problem with right wheel which cost $270. Its obviously not a powerful as some of the other more expensive cars, especially when you turn on the AC the power drops, but its still very likeable. I would recommend it to anyone. Infact my next car would be a DODGE.

3 more days and its gone!
By bilahn on 07/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have had many of the problems stated by the others, the worst of which was a catastrophic oil leak that cost $900 and 3 trips. Now they tell me there's a "miniscule" radiator hole. Plus, the car shakes and vibrates all the time! I wish I hadn't fallend for the hype back in 1996. Rotten car.

Don't repeat my mistake!
By sirlordsoul on 07/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

A rip off! Don't buy this car. I bought mine new and have had an endless series of major repairs (oil leaks, the car computer, door handles coming loose, and the air conditioning -- TWICE!) over seven years. Whatever I "saved" in the relatively low purchase price has been taken away in repairs. And keep in mind that I kept up with ALL of the recommended maintenance. Now I'm stuck with a lemon drawing its last breaths! Thank you very much Chrysler -- I'm going to avoid your crappy product as long as I live! And they wonder why people don't like American cars ...