Used 1996 Dodge Neon Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Had to trash it
By phantom

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

I absolutely loved this car when I first bought it. Looked great and drove great. After 2 yrs the problems began. The obvious head gasket plus seals had to be replaced. Every sensor on the car pretty much malfunctioned at some point. Every year and yes I mean every year I had to get it serviced due to misfires. One electrical problem after another. Stereo went out. Door looks worked when they wanted to. Drivers side window was loose and leaked. Oddly enough in the 6 years that I owned that car I never replaced the exaust. Not even the muffler. This is a terrible vehicle and I will never buy a Dodge/Chrysler product again. Terrible!

Exterior. Nice looking car. Paint held up extremely well. Lots of room in the back seat

Scrap this vehicle all together unless you can rewire it and make it not leak oil or have all the sensors go out

It's Used
By Casie

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car seems to be lacking serious horsepower. Or at least mine is. I have the worst gas mileage in the history of 4 cylinders (5spd to boot) Approx 16 mpg. Also it has a major problem with the window sealing. I have a major leakage. Anytime it rains it leaks. If I am driving I hear a lot of air leaking through. But what can I say, it's used.

It's been reliable. For two months.

I suggest a window support above the windows. Who would have thunk of that?

Don't let looks fool you
By Don't let LOOKS fool

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought used in 2000 and got rid of in '03.<(which is the best thing I've ever done!) Bought to replace my aging '89 Corsica that I loved till the major breakdowns. Obviously, this car wasn't much better. Tons of problems. Was in the shop more than on the road. Oxygen sensor, battery, alternator; just a few of the problems I had w/ it out of many. HIt 2 different deer w/ it and 2 different times. Had 3 different accidents w/ it w/ other vehicles. I think red is a magnet for things to want to attract too. That or bad luck, not sure which? Who knows, but it was always something going wrong. One good thing is that just going to/from work it got good mileage 28/39! Looks are deceiving.....

Color, exterior styling, rear seat that folds down, gas mileage

Get it together Dodge!! Make better product then your sales will go up.

ehh.
By diggit616

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

This has not been my favorite car but it has done exactly what I needed it to do. No more, no less. It has had it's share of problems though. Drivers window has never worked right, HEAD GASKET, A/C, radio, left blinker turns on when you brake, wears front tires uneven, door panel broke,... At this point I am just glad it still starts; and that is one thing it has always done, start. It may not be the best car I have ever had but it gets me to where I need to go. Great car for new drivers and collage kids. Just don't fool yourself into thinking you won't have any problems with it. Neon quality is an extinct dinosaur.

design and reliability

quality. Should have been a recall on the head gasket. Shame on Dodge.

neon is nothing special
By danda

1996 Dodge Neon Coupe 2dr Coupe

For a long time it was a great car. It is still pretty reliable. My problems are with the paint, and the durability of the accessories. The door panels keep falling off and breaking. The windows haven't worked right for a long time, The antenna fell off. The gas tank door broke one day. The car is horrible in the snow. It's a reliable vehicle. The gas mileage has decreased, but it still gets 25-32 mpg.

reliability, performance, gas mileage

improve everything else, esp. traction