Used 1996 Dodge Neon Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

It's Used
By Casie

1996 Dodge Neon 2dr Coupe

This car seems to be lacking serious horsepower. Or at least mine is. I have the worst gas mileage in the history of 4 cylinders (5spd to boot) Approx 16 mpg. Also it has a major problem with the window sealing. I have a major leakage. Anytime it rains it leaks. If I am driving I hear a lot of air leaking through. But what can I say, it's used.

It's been reliable. For two months.

I suggest a window support above the windows. Who would have thunk of that?

Don't let looks fool you
By Don't let LOOKS fool

1996 Dodge Neon 2dr Coupe

Bought used in 2000 and got rid of in '03.<(which is the best thing I've ever done!) Bought to replace my aging '89 Corsica that I loved till the major breakdowns. Obviously, this car wasn't much better. Tons of problems. Was in the shop more than on the road. Oxygen sensor, battery, alternator; just a few of the problems I had w/ it out of many. HIt 2 different deer w/ it and 2 different times. Had 3 different accidents w/ it w/ other vehicles. I think red is a magnet for things to want to attract too. That or bad luck, not sure which? Who knows, but it was always something going wrong. One good thing is that just going to/from work it got good mileage 28/39! Looks are deceiving.....

Color, exterior styling, rear seat that folds down, gas mileage

Get it together Dodge!! Make better product then your sales will go up.

neon is nothing special
By danda

1996 Dodge Neon 2dr Coupe

For a long time it was a great car. It is still pretty reliable. My problems are with the paint, and the durability of the accessories. The door panels keep falling off and breaking. The windows haven't worked right for a long time, The antenna fell off. The gas tank door broke one day. The car is horrible in the snow. It's a reliable vehicle. The gas mileage has decreased, but it still gets 25-32 mpg.

reliability, performance, gas mileage

improve everything else, esp. traction

Great box on wheels. Great college car.
By bartwart

1996 Dodge Neon 2dr Coupe

We've owned our NEON since it was new in 1996. I'm going to buck the trend here and actually tell you that this is the best, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. However, we got it with a manual transmission and NO options, period. No AC, no power anything, no radio, no nothing. This is your prototypical box on wheels. We even get 40 mpg! At this rate it will last us another 10 years.

Great gas millage. No mechanical problems, ever.

How can you improve this great box on wheels?

3 more days and its gone!
By bilahn

1996 Dodge Neon 2dr Coupe

I have had many of the problems stated by the others, the worst of which was a catastrophic oil leak that cost $900 and 3 trips. Now they tell me there's a "miniscule" radiator hole. Plus, the car shakes and vibrates all the time! I wish I hadn't fallend for the hype back in 1996. Rotten car.

Powerful engine.

I hope it has improved since then. This car has been a real dud. I have a stack of repair bills 1 foot high. ONE DAY after the warranty expired, the Service Engline lgiht went on - don't remember what it was but it cost $400.