1996 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Had to trash it
By phantom on 03/13/07 09:07 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

I absolutely loved this car when I first bought it. Looked great and drove great. After 2 yrs the problems began. The obvious head gasket plus seals had to be replaced. Every sensor on the car pretty much malfunctioned at some point. Every year and yes I mean every year I had to get it serviced due to misfires. One electrical problem after another. Stereo went out. Door looks worked when they wanted to. Drivers side window was loose and leaked. Oddly enough in the 6 years that I owned that car I never replaced the exaust. Not even the muffler. This is a terrible vehicle and I will never buy a Dodge/Chrysler product again. Terrible!

My nice little car.. I just Luv it.
By Bhavesh on 07/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

To be frank I was very afraid while buying this car because of tones of bad reviews. But my experience with this sweety has been wonderful. I simply luv my car. I have it for about two years now and I am very happy with my decision. The only expense in these two years have been once every three month oil changes and some problem with right wheel which cost $270. Its obviously not a powerful as some of the other more expensive cars, especially when you turn on the AC the power drops, but its still very likeable. I would recommend it to anyone. Infact my next car would be a DODGE.

Stay Away from this Car
By NoMoreNeons on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

I promise this, is my last Chrysler product. I have had bad experiences with everyone of them except a Jeep Wrangler, but I got rid of it just in time. My neon is the worst of the lot. Head Gasket blew at about 30K, fortunately, still under warranty. I have 80,000 miles now and pray it won't blow again based on other reviews. Constant problems ever since though. Can't seem, to keep the AC running more than 2 months at a time. Spent $1,000 repairing it this June, and it went out in less than 6 weeks. Took three more trips to the shop to try to fix it. Leaks oil, transmission fluid, etc.

This car ROCKS
By loudneon on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

Wow what to say. I love my Neon. I ordered it with the DOHC and 5 speed. Best car I have. Buy one. Give it a turbo and suspension drop, then go kick some honda butt. Buy the DOHC not the SOHC. Never had a head gasket problem. I run it hard everyday too. 60mph 5500rpm in third gear hard around corners. Kicked my brothers 96 Avenger to the curb.