1996 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
ehh.
By diggit616 on 06/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

This has not been my favorite car but it has done exactly what I needed it to do. No more, no less. It has had it's share of problems though. Drivers window has never worked right, HEAD GASKET, A/C, radio, left blinker turns on when you brake, wears front tires uneven, door panel broke,... At this point I am just glad it still starts; and that is one thing it has always done, start. It may not be the best car I have ever had but it gets me to where I need to go. Great car for new drivers and collage kids. Just don't fool yourself into thinking you won't have any problems with it. Neon quality is an extinct dinosaur.

Should have been Recalled
By feqmxa on 08/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

Bought it new. Had $8500 of body damage 2 weeks after I bought it. Insurance fixed it(should have totalled it). Head cover gasket started leaking oil around 65000 miles. Had it replaced at $600. Started leaking again around 80000 miles. Then head gasket blew. Donated it to charity.

I've Been Duped
By NeonHater on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

Trouble from the beginning, that summarizes the ownership of this Neon. I've had the entire AC replaced twice. In warranty the first time, out of warranty the second time. Now, at 39,000 miles (I only drive it to work and back about 100 miles a week) the head gasket went out. Cost me $1405 to get it fixed. I went to Edmunds and found out it's only worth about $1600. Yes, I was duped. But, you can avoid it by staying away from Chrysler.

Stay Away From A Neon!!!
By Not a good car!!!!! on 11/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I used to own this vehicle and then traded it in for a "Honda" product. You just can't compare the two! You name it, I had it go wrong with my Neon! Headgasket (twice!), breaks, fuel indicator...reading full, when in fact empty....Air Conditioning, interior lighting, etc..etc..etc!! Unless, there are significant improvements, I suggest scrapping the Neon all together!! And avoid all the consumer headaches!!!!

Great Car
By Original Neon Owner on 05/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I am the original owner of my 1996 Dodge Neon Highline Coupe. I've had it for 5 years now, and 70,000 miles later, I'm still very happy with it. Yes, I've had the head gasket break too, just like everybody else, but I took care of the problem, and haven't had anything go wrong since, besides a tail light bulb burning out ($1.00 replacement). I drive it hard, and it's been so reliable that I am not even thinking about trading it in yet. I'm planning on keeping this car for at least another 2 or 3 years. It's been a great investment!

OK So far !!
By tamra on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I bought my Neon last Dec. from a very well know dealership for selling "BAD CARS" i did not know when they sold me the car. So far all I have replaced on my neon is the brakes and a signal bulb. My car is at 93,960. It still runs good, alittle hard sometimes, but overall nice- When I bought it they said I had a new head gasket kit done, etc., so I hope they did not lie to me because if anything goes wrong like the other people? I will be in court...

Very Disappointed
By Very Disappointed on 03/04/02 02:58 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I have had numerous problems since I bought this vehicle 6 years ago: the paint discolored on the hood and trunk twice; the interior light works only when it wants to; the break lights stayed on continuously; the turn signal broke twice; major head gasket leak: the dealer said the factory was offering a $100 deductable because it was an ongoing problem with this vehicle. No problems yet w/the new headgasket;AC has gone bad 5 times now.